Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

deepa (Consultant)     13 July 2014

Grand parents property

Hello Sir / Madam,

I would like to know if I can claim my grandparents property legally. The property ( old house and land)  is valued around 75L - 1 crore which is located in Kerala. My grand father (paternal) and my father expired long back. The property was taken in my grand mother's name at that time. Legal heirs are my dad and  his  younger sister who lives in Bangalore. Last year ( 2013) my grand mother has handed over the property ( legally registered ) to my dad's sister's name without any consent from any of us.  As per my understanding me and my brother should inherit the property equally as my dad's sister. We both are above 18 yrs old now. Grand mother is of 84 yrs old as of this year ( 2014)  and she passed away recently.  In addition to that she is having an adopted child  ( not legally) from her sister whom we consider as my dad's brother is also staying with my grandmother and his family. Dad's sister is the decision maker and she doesn't want to share the property with us as its legally given to her by my granny. Will there be any hope if we can claim it legally? If yes, how to do so and how long will it take ?

Thanks in advance!!!

Deepa

Learning

1 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     13 July 2014

deepa , your grandmother was the sole owner of that property she was having all rights over that property she was free to use her property as her wish ,as per to you she had transfered her property to her daughter if she had transfered her property by making a registered gift deed in the favour of her daughter then your father cannot challenge it but if it is a verbal decision or by unregistered will then your father can challenge and legally get their share in that property.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register