LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Magan   18 October 2017

Giving dowry is crime

My father in law accept in cross examination that He said we discussed before marriage about dowry and big car in future. Also wife says dowry was demanded before marriage but we agree for marriage . But actual we had not discussed or demand dowry also we had deny this story in court . They write these points in sec 9 hma & crpc 125 . Now they move to police cell 498 406 My qouestion is Giving dowry is not crime Can i not move to police to lodge fir

Learning

8 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     19 October 2017

Given dowry is as big crime as asking or demanding and taking dowry. The dowry when demanded and under duress given will absolve the dowry giver. The person demanding dowry will be liable both crimes ie demanding and taking dowry as well making the other person to give dowry under duress or force which he would not have done if such demand was not made.

Sachin (N.A)     19 October 2017

Originally posted by : Magan
My father in law accept in cross examination that
He said we discussed before marriage about dowry and big car in future.

Also wife says dowry was demanded before marriage but we agree for marriage .

But actual we had not discussed or demand dowry also we had deny this story in court .

They write these points in sec 9 hma & crpc 125 .

Now they move to police cell 498 406

My qouestion is

Giving dowry is not crime
Can i not move to police to lodge fir

The point you mention that "before marriage" they agreed to give car as dowry. If they actually gave you car after marriage then the may be prosecuted under Dowry Probition Act section 3

(Guest)
Dowry givers are considered victims and as such they are NEVER punished. In entire india there isn't a single case when a dowry giver was punished. Your anguish is understandable and in theory they are as guilty as You, both legally and ethically but it's futile to pursue in practice. Focus on your own life instead.
1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     21 October 2017

given dowry is also an offence as per section 3 of Dowry prohibition act 1961.
they can be prosecuted for the same if you file a complaint against them.
recently in Jaipur court the complaint has been registered against the person who give dowry.
immediately file a complaint against them before police or court.

(Guest)
Complaint can be given and maximum it will go to trial, but never results in conviction. Courts know under what circumstances dowry is given.

Magan   27 November 2017

Thanks so muvh

Magan   27 November 2017

Thanks so much

(Guest)

What are you thankful for?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register