Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashok   13 September 2016

General query

Dear Team,

I have a elementary query. Apologies, if this was answered in the past.

Does our legal system allow tenents to claim ownership of the property if they stay for more than a said period (say 10 or 20 or 30 years). I came across a tenent at my neighbours place claiming during a dispute that they have been tenents for more than 15 years and they can easily claim the ownership of the property.

It is a residential property where a family has stayed for a long period of time. The owners are aged couple where their children stay away from them due to their career. The tenents knew the owners state and arguing with owners that they may go to legal system if forced to vacate.

Though i told them that no legal system in India supports tenets to claim ownership of the property for their stay for a long term. Let me know if my assumption and statement is valid.

Regards

Ashok

Learning

3 Replies

cherukuri prasad (Advocate)     13 September 2016

Tenant is a tenant forever. He or his successors can never become owner in their life time. But he shall have right to stay and pay rent if owner wishes to let it for any other tenant instead of him. If rent is not taken by the owner, then the trouble starts.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     13 September 2016

Why general query, be specific with hard and solid facts without being academic query.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 September 2016

Agreed with the advise of experts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register