Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raman (Technical)     03 June 2018

First appeal to national consumer commission (ncdrc)

I have few questions regarding filling a petition (First Appeal) with National Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission (NCDRC). I'll be obliged for any help / clarification.

The State Dispute Redressal Commission has delivered the final order, on a gross level it is in favour of me, but we think many things have been overlooked in that order and in few specific areas the verdict is not proper. I want to make an appeal to NCDRC. Now with respect to that I would like to get some help with respect to below points.

• The time limitation of submitting an appeal to NCDRC is 30 days. But from when the 30 days are calculated? Is it from the date of pronouncement of order? Or from the date of receipt of copy of the order?

The format specified in NCDRC website (https://ncdrc.nic.in/fa.html) states that

The date on which the free copy was received from the State Commission.

Please note that I haven’t yet received the copy of the order from State Commission 

Date on which a copy of the impugned order was received for the first time, from any source.

What is meant by from any source? All orders are available in confonet and can be downloaded. So will it take into account the date of availability of order at confonet?

The source and the mode of receiving the copy of the impugned order for the first time, from any source.

Delay if any, computing the period of limitation, from the date a copy of the impugned order was first received from any source.

The appeal requires submission of “Certified copy of order of State Commission”.

Do I need to file condonation for delay even if I haven't received the order but 30 days have passed from the date of order?

In my case the approximately three (3) months has lapsed from the date of final order but I haven’t yet received a copy of the order from State commission. What should I do now?

• The consumer protection act says that

“required to pay any amount in terms of an order of the State Commission, shall be entertained by the National Commission unless the appellant has deposited in the prescribed manner fifty per cent. of the amount or rupees thirty-five thousand, whichever is less”

As the order was grossly in my favour, I have nothing to pay to OP as per order from State Commission. Does that mean that I don’t have to deposit Statuary Deposits as per Section 19 of the Consumer Protection Act / pay for the First Appeal to NCDRC?

• Does NCDRC accept appeals through Speed Post? Otherwise just to submit the papers one has to travel to New Delhi, and have a significant cost implication.

• As I personally appeared before the State Commission and if possible would like to do so in front of the NCDRC as well, is there any paid service available in New Delhi who takes care of submission of papers before the NCDRC for those who resides in other states of India? That will minimize the cost impact. If so what would be the cost for the same, approximately?

• As I personally appeared before the State Commission and if possible would like to do so in front of the NCDRC as well, is there any professional service available in New Delhi who can verify that the submission before the NCDRC is as per the format and complies all requirement, for those who resides in other states of India? That will minimize the chance of rejection. If so what would be the cost for the same, approximately?

Thanking you for your time reading this post and replying the same to help me.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv. Rakesh Martyn   03 June 2018

First appeal U/s 19 of CPA 1986 link

https://ncdrc.nic.in/fa.html

Answers to your questions: 

If you did not received a copy of order from SCDRC you should apply for it by giving a application for it by paying appropriate fees (Rs. 5/=) per page at the SCDRC office.  The same can be obtained through RTI but this will take 30 days time by giving a IPO worth Rs. 10/= addressed to the PIO, SCDRC.  The PIO will reply if it has got the copy of the order/judgement on the date of the application.  If not they wont give.  You will have to send an RTI application again.

Before all this why are you being an idiot and posting this question here?  Cant you check the details on CONFONET as to whether the orders have been passed for your CC.

From date of receipt of certified copy from the SCDRC through any of the above means you have 30 days time limit to go for 1st appeal u/s 19 at NCDRC.  If you fail to prefer appeal in case your are not satisfied with orders of SCDRC, then you can give explanation as to why you are late and ask the NCDRC to admit your appeal.

Appeal papers can be sent by Registered A.D. Post.

Regards,

Advocate Martin

Raman (Technical)     03 June 2018

Originally posted by : Adv. Rakesh Martyn

First appeal U/s 19 of CPA 1986 link

https://ncdrc.nic.in/fa.html

Answers to your questions: 

If you did not received a copy of order from SCDRC you should apply for it by giving a application for it by paying appropriate fees (Rs. 5/=) per page at the SCDRC office.  The same can be obtained through RTI but this will take 30 days time by giving a IPO worth Rs. 10/= addressed to the PIO, SCDRC.  The PIO will reply if it has got the copy of the order/judgement on the date of the application.  If not they wont give.  You will have to send an RTI application again.

As per the norms I am supposed to get a free certified copy send to my address.The order clearly mentions that as well. Why do I need to apply for the same separately?

Before all this why are you being an idiot and posting this question here?  Cant you check the details on CONFONET as to whether the orders have been passed for your CC.

It seems that I failed to make you understand my question, orders can be downloaded from confonet, but that won't serve the purpose, as NCDRC requires one to submit certified copy of the order.

From date of receipt of certified copy from the SCDRC through any of the above means you have 30 days time limit to go for 1st appeal u/s 19 at NCDRC.  If you fail to prefer appeal in case your are not satisfied with orders of SCDRC, then you can give explanation as to why you are late and ask the NCDRC to admit your appeal.

As I am supposed to get the certified copy delivered to me free of cost, can I wait for the same to reach me and 30 days count starts from then only?

Appeal papers can be sent by Registered A.D. Post.

This is valuable information, but this is not mentioned anywhere in NCDRC website.

Regards,

Advocate Martin

Thank you very much for your reply, my responses are inline marked in green.

Thanking you once agian.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register