Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shivakumar (Engineer)     05 September 2014

Fine paid to traffic police

Dear Sir,

I have been fined by traffic police in HYDERABAD city for Rs. 1000/- for signal jumping. But in the receipt he mentioned as i have been fined under section 132/177. At the back of the receipt traffic dept mentioned a maximum fine of Rs. 200/- can be fined. Police man is not ready to mention the offence in the receipt except section. He warned me if it is not paid he will take accessories, i agreed for that also but he is not ready to give receipt for the same.

I would like to know the fine kept to me is right or not. Behaviour of a police man is very rude.

Kindly suggest.

Learning

2 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     05 September 2014

Correct section should have been S. 184 for which penalty is indeed rs. 1000/- . So fine is according to offence . You can complaint against the Policeman that he did not know / mention the right Section. For which he will plead human error. So no case really lies IMHO.

Ashok, Advocate (Lawyer at Delhi)     06 September 2014

Many of the traffic offences are made compoundable by payment of a pre-fixed amount on the spot. These amounts are generally mentioned in general orders issued by the competent authority. Thus, while the maximum penalty under a particular section of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, may be Rs. 1000/-, the compoundable amount which may be paid on the spot may actually be much less that. You may have to ascertain the details from your city traffic police. Sometimes, in such cases, the traffic police constables charge more money than the compoundable amount, and the remaining amount goes to their own pockets as a corruption money. If you feel aggrieved, you can ascertain the details from the senior officers of the traffic police and file a complaint against the erring constable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register