Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

UV (Manager)     04 August 2014

Family of boy threatened by girl's family

Dear Experts,

I was engaged in May this year but withing two weeks of Engagement families had various differences and issues and my family called off the engagement finally after ~6 weeks. One example issue is following.

Girl's father changed her commitment that marriage will take place in my home town. Initially he said that he never made a commitment (no one has any proof) but later he apologized and said that he doesn't have enough money. My father offered him that he doesn't have to pay anything for function, food or lodging. He took one week and refused again without a reason. That's just one example and there were other similar things.

After one week of calling the engagement off, girl's father called my father and threatened him to give him 2.5 Lakhs as compensation, and threatened that otherwise be ready for action. Point here: Boy's family's engagement expenses with proof / bills ~ 3.0 Lakhs and Girl's family's expenses without any proof / bills ~ 2.5 Lakhs. I reckon their expenses are not more than 1 Lakh.

He is also claiming that we asked for 6 Lakhs of dowry but thats an utter lie. I am sure he cannot present a proof because no such thing happened.

I am really scared about my family now. We are a very honest and law abiding family and we don't want to pay him this money only because of his threats. He is from Gwalior and has close friendship with some past and current judges as well. Thats what he is basing his threats on, I believe. He has also mentioned that he can make things work by bribing the right people.

We are really scared now. I'll appreciate if you experts can share your opinion on what should be our next step.

Kind regards,

Learning

8 Replies

UV (Manager)     04 August 2014

I am very scared by his remark that my family should be ready for action. Girl's brother doesn't look like a decent fellow. He has posted pictures on Facebook where is showing off his Pistol (Desi) like a Gunda. I'll appreciate if any of you can suggest me about what should be our follow up action!

Prasad (Systems Engineer)     05 August 2014

The very first thing to do is to stop fearing these kind of people. Just stay calm. These people live on the fear of innocent decent family like yours. Expose them to all of their relatives and locals. Give the news to a local newspaper as well. And just file a complaint in the nearest police station.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     05 August 2014

threat is an act of coercion wherein an act is proposed to elicit a negative response. It is a communicated intent to inflict harm or loss on another person. It can be a crime in many jurisdictions. submit your complaint to the police commissioner in your place. or else nearest police station.

ktkaran (maanger)     05 August 2014

Lure Girls father into demand of money and get it video and audio recorded.

Do a sting ,negotiate and ask them to lower their demand etc.

once u have proof Do file a case against such people and send the videos and audios to media ,you can simply tweet to media and see the magic they will forget to ask money.

dont be scared ,just be cool and do it .

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     05 August 2014

Do not bow down to their pressure.  Barking dogs seldom bite.  If his tortures are beyond tolerance, file a complaint before jurisdictional limit police against him and take him into task.  Shed your fears if you have not done any wrong thing.

UV (Manager)     05 August 2014

Dear Mr. Prasad, Mr. Ram, Mr.Karan and Mr. Kalaiselvan,

Thank you for your responses, firstly. I really appreciate it.

All your responses have confirmed my thought process. I spoke with a few friends as well who are in legal profession, and based on all these inputs, I have filed a complaint to SP and SHO in my city, mentioning the threats and false allegations from Girl's father. I am determined now to not to bow down to any of his threats.

I know my family has safety threats but I'll make sure that I take necessary steps, if any member of my family has to go to Gwalior on this issue.

I will keep updating this thread till the end of this issue, so that anyone who faces a similar situation in future is well informed about the process and potential repercussions and final output.

If anyone of you has any further advice, I'll really appreciate it.

Thank you Very much once again.

Kind regards,

UV

K.K.Ganguly (Advocate)     05 August 2014

1. Do not worry at all. They are giving hollow threats only,

2. Relax.

UV (Manager)     18 August 2014

thank you, Mr; Ganguly. Things are still in the same phase and I also hope that these threats don't harm us.

Update:

My family lodged a complaint in local police station. The SHO asked us to try to resolve the issue amicably and didn't file an FIR but in the mean time girl's father lodged a false complaint in Gwalior Police station. This time he claimed that my family asked for a dowry of INR 25 Lacs. This is really incredible to me. I never knew such people existed. I assume this is God's way of telling me, "Welcome to the real world, kid"

This matter has now gone really far. I don't know where will it end. I hope I don't end up losing my faith in Indian Judiciary.

Will keep posting as promised, Regards,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register