LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     09 January 2011

Equal Rights of MLAs and MPs

We all talk about equality as the bed rock of the constitution and alaso about elctoral reformation in the Country. Now, are the MLAs and MPs are given equal treatment? My query to all the members is: wht are we doing in electoral reformation? There are MPs with 30 lakh population whereas in some state with 10 lakh populatyion only. Now in a state there are MLAs with over 60 thousand voters whereas in some constituency there are MLAs with less than 15 thousand voters only: but it appears that all the MLAs enjoy the same Fund so how can there be equality amongst the MLAs and MPs? It is like a Mother having 60 thousand children and a Mother with 15 thousand children to feed with the same equal funds distributed amongst the Mothers? I am of the view that if India has to be developed there should be proportionate voters for each MLAs and MPs. I shall be grateful if the members give their opinion in the matter.

Learning

5 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     09 January 2011

In my opinion the MLA and MP funds should be abolished. The discetionary for Chief Ministers for land allocation also should be abolished. All these lead only to corruption, favouritism and nepotism. In order to have such powers not only honesty but knowledge is also required. Most MPs/MLAs have neither of them.

I think with all the recent scams, there is some thinking on the part of our politicians to abolish these privileges.

(Guest)

You have pointed out ajust right item, Mr. Assumi and DRF is going to send this by email to all the MPs and MLAs and will also write letters to all concerned. 

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     10 January 2011

Thanks to alll those involved in the electoral reformation in the country. I'ts time for the Youth of India to wake up like the poem of Rabindra Tagore " Let my Country awake"  On my part I will be sending this messages to the World Youth Parliament. Thanks DRF.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     11 January 2011

mp's  &  mla's  are distinctly two diffrent categories. therefore they can not be treated as equal.

but it is true that - "There are MPs with 30 lakh population whereas in some state with 10 lakh populatyion"

we should think about it.

some practical problem is also there. population of some states are too low.

kiran 11111 (Executive)     14 January 2011

What you said is correct. The strength of MLA/MP alloted to each state has been fixed .During delimitation of constituencies , base is the state and not the country and hence present disparity existts as regards the proportion of MLA/MP to population. It is more or less uniform in a state but not uniform at all India level.I think to cure this situation , constitution amndment will be required.

I think local fund concept should be abolished and let the MLA/MP suggest various development work required to be carried . The administration should study the feasibility of such proposals and should undertake the work.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register