Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Entering upon Defence

In sessions Triable case

S.233(3) says - Accused can apply for issue of any process for compelling the attendnace of any witness or the production of any document or thing.

In Warrant Case

S.243(2)  says - Accused can apply to Magistrate for issue of process  for compelling the attendance of any witness for the purpose of

1. examination

2. cross examination

2. production of any document or thing.

In Summons case

s.254(2) says the Magistrate may on the application of the prosecution or accused issue a summons to any witness directing him to attend or to produce any document or other thing.

My query is since 243(2) Cr.P.C permits summoning a witness by Accused for purpose of "Cross examination" at Defense stage, is it not permissable for accused to summon at the defense stage,  prosecution witness whom he has declined to cross examine for any reason earlier,  for the purpose of cross examination? Since the provision in warrant triable case is specific as to "cross examination" can my logic not extended to sessions triable and summons cases where the relevant section is not specific as to examination and cross examination but talks about summoning a witness for attendance in court without elaborating the prupose as in warrant triable case?

Learning

3 Replies

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     02 October 2009

Examination and cross examination is inherent in the when a witness is summoned. It makes no difference if relevant section is not specific as to examination and cross examination but talks about summoning a witness for attendance in court without elaborating the prupose as in warrant triable case?

(Guest)

Sir - You have answered the 2nd part of the query. The first part of the query which is main query remains unanswered.  To repeat the 1st part of the query, it is as follows:-

1. If after entering upon defense, whether prosecution witness who was declined cross examination by the accused earlier for what ever reason, can be summoned by the accused for the purpose of cross examination in view of the specific purpose of cross examination?

You will appreciate that after entering upon defense it will be the defense witness who will be summoned and the examination of a witness by the party who calls him shall be called his examination in chief (s.137 of Evidence act)

My contention is that since s.243(2) specifies the purpose of "cross examination" also, at the Defense stage accused can summon or recall prosecution witness and cross examine him. Do you agree with me? If you agree with me then I am inclined to agree with your answer earler  with regard to summons case and sessions triable case.

(Guest)

Sorry friends, I did not read the proviso to s.243 (2) earlier. I stand corrected my contention is wrong in view of proviso to the said section.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register