Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Yash Desai   30 October 2019

Education loan sanctioned | cancelled after giving 1st installment saying university not ugc approved

Hello everyone, Myself Yash I got a clear sanctioned loan in the year 2013 for pursuing my education in Mumbai. i received my 1st installment from state bank and while on my approach to receive the second installment, the branch manager said that he cannot give me as my institute isnt UGC approved. I said that as per you rules which i read in the loan papers were this " A bank can only sanction loan if the institute/ university is UGC approved ". He said but its not possible now. I pleaded allot as my education was going in vain in front of me. I was a topper in my class with 93.5% in the first sem. I wasnt able to bare it and slowly went into depression which took me a year to recover. Also when the bank manager denied i asked him to give me in writing but still he denied. I got a notice from bank in 2018 fro repayment. I went and submitted a copy of application to manager asking the same question about why my education was spoiled due to the banks mistake ? but later i was been told i will be getting a response in a week but after 1.5 yrs from 2018, in the yr 2019 i again received a notice for the same and when i went to again submit the application i found the entire staff was changed and my previous application which i submitted in the year 2018 was missing from the file. Its been 6 yrs now and still i am an undergrad. as my family condition isnt stable. i have a sister whoes education is still pending. i HAD A PLAN THAT once i get graduated, i ll make the condition stable of family and look for my sisters education so she wont need to take an education loan. But i failed. I have a question : if bank wants the repayment then what i am getting in return ? my spoiled education ? my sisters spoiled education ? my family financial conditions ? Why should i pay the loan when i made so many losses while i still want to study in my desired field. Its not i never tried doing graduation, i did but got always stuck with finances and to look for everyone in family. And its not easy to gain a job with good salary without a degree. If after all this, still i am a citizen and have respect towards my country and am aware about the bad debt in the banking sector rising. so if i still wish to pay the loan i cannot give it a priority above my own concerns which are still persisting due to the mistakes of bank. If i opt to fight in court also, i dont enough finances to pay an advocate or take the expense as i work on contract basis in mumbai at a wage of 15k month. in which i have to manage everything. Yes, i know you might be thinking why dont i go back to my hometown and start a job there. because i have dream to achieve. Bank failed me once when i had no income source but this time i have a little which is helping me to build my career once again. Also the bank has asked me to pay the 50% loan in 3months ( lOAN AMOUNT : 3.75 LAC | SANCTIONED : 90K | CURRENT PAYABLE : 1.50 LAC )forgiving the rest 50% ( from current payable ) but my situation isnt such where i can manage to pay this soon. What should i do ? Fight in court or repay them but if i repay them i would like to know what am i getting in return. Thank you.

Learning

10 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     30 October 2019

I am very sorry to read your predicament. I presume that you did not continue your education in the unrecognised institute as the bank did not give you further loan. I am surprised that you are only complaining against the bank and not against the institute which cheated you. There is no use of getting a degree or diploma from a university not recognised by UGC. You have also wasted years without seeking quick remedy as soon as you came to know that your university was not recognised. I do not know whether there is any law which prevents a bank from advancing loans for study in an unrecognised university. But why should you waste  time and money pursuing studies in an unrecognised university?  You may have had a case if you had acted immediately as soon as the bank refused you further loan installments. Now you talk to the Bank Management and try to arrive at a compromise.  

Yash Desai   31 October 2019

Thank you so much sir for your response. But i checked first and then took an admission in the institute, infact the institute was ready to give me a letter of the university approval ( UGC ) as per asked by the branch manager but when i reached the bank to provide him the documents he refused to take it stating that my unversity isnt UGC approved and no further steps can be taken and he as well told the loan is topped here after. I asked him a copy in written along with the reason he gave me to stop my loan, for which he said that give me a written application that you want this copy. i gave hime a written application stating " For the loan which was santioned and stopped on the name of UGC non approval i would here by like to get a document which states you have stopped the loan on so and so grounds " He after reading told me to visit the bank in a week and collect the letter from the loan supervisor. When i came after a week the loan supervisor was transfered somewhere and the branch kept on staying unavailable. And later i started focusing on my career after all his chaos. But due to finance and supporting family at the same time it became uneasy for me continue my studies. Wherein still i have this fire to study again but the situation isnt helping. Also i agree on this that i should have taken early steps for this but i wasnt aware about many things and all i got in mind was to not waste more time and start the try to reach my goals, till date the hustle is still going on and i know one fine day i ll achieve what i want. Thank you once again for reaching me out with the revert. I truly appreciate your time. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 November 2019

You have wasted 6 precious years of your life. Still if you think that it is not too late for you do the following. 1. Give here the name and address of the institute, which was allegedly not recognised. Does that institute exist still?  Write to the PIO of UGC seeking unformation as to whether the institute was recognised by them and if so when it was recognised. If UGC replies that the institute was recognised in 2013 or earlier do the following. Take a copy of the letter and write to SBI stating that because of their refusing to continue their loan to you, you had to stop your education, suffered loss of career and considerable mental agony. You ask them (1) to stop asking for return of their loan with or without interest (2) to give you Rs.50 lakhs as compensation for your loss of career and mental agony. You also write to them that if they do not settle the matter within 15 days, you shall file complaint before the cunsumer court. If they do not satisfactorily settled the matter file your complaint before the consumer court. Everything depends on UGC giving you reply that the institute was recognised by them in 2013 or earlier. If they reply that the institute was not recognised by them, you file consumer complaint against the Institute asking compensation from them.

Yash Desai   01 November 2019

Thank you so much sir for your support. It really means allot.  I will surely write it to the PIO and will act according to the steps dictated. And will surely get back to you once i have the document in hand. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     02 November 2019

What is the name of the institute/university?

Yash Desai   04 November 2019

Institute : Aptech ( My course was affilated to the below university )

University : Mahatma Gandhi University, Meghalaya. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 November 2019

Besides finding out whether Mahatma Gandhi University was UGC recognised, you should find out whether Aptech was affiliated to MG University. The latter may not be true.

Yash Desai   05 November 2019

Ok. But should i ask for the same from aptech through RTI ?

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     05 November 2019

You should ask MG University through RTI whether Aptech was affiliated to them.

Yash Desai   11 November 2019

Thank you sir. Will do it, as well will make an RTI to UGC asking about the UGC certification for the university later in 2013 or earlier. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register