Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankur Srivastava (Assistant Manager)     31 December 2014

Earned leave in the 1st year of service

Dear Friends,

My name is Ankur Srivastava. I joined a company in Ahmedabad on 3rd March 2014 and since then working here. As per company's leave policy I have been granted with 7 SLs, 7 CLs and 21 ELs counted on pro-rated basis for this calendar year. I have exhausted all my SLs and CLs and apart from those I also took 7 more leaves (approved) in an impression that after every 20 days of working I am being granted 1 Earned Leave. However when I received my pay slip for December 2014, I am shocked to see that my salary for these 7 leaves have been deducted because a clause in the company policy says that an employee can use his/her ELs in the next calendar year. I can not understand this logic! Should not these 7 leaves should be balanced with my available ELs in my leave balance account?

Does any clause of any Labour Law states that whether EL cannot be used in the same calendar year of joining. As per my knowledge what law says is "After every 20 days of working an employee is eligible to get 1 Earned Leave". 

Please share your humble views and also suggest me how to take care of this situation as 1/4th a months salary is going to hamper be considerably.

Regards,

Ankur Srivastava

Learning

12 Replies

arulprasath (HR & Legal)     31 December 2014

Hi

You are working in factory or other industires, pls clarify.

EL/PL will be given one day for every 20 worked days, provided it will be eligible to avail after successfully completed 240 days.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     31 December 2014

The leave policy of the establishment shall be governed by enactments applicable to it............e.g.

( Name of the state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act...................

The leave policy can provide superior benefits but not inferior benefits........

Gujarat followed Bombay Shops and Commercial Establishments Act...and Gujarat Shops and Commercial Establishments Act...is available on the website of Dept. of labor  Gujarat...

Hi, I work with a Trading Company ando we are into EXIM business. As I said I joined on 3rd March 2014 and today is 31st Dec. 2014, I presume it's almost 10 months minus 22 leaves inclusive of my ELs and CLs and office holidays. Please suggest me how to save my hard earned money.

The idiot HR manager is anew idiot and taking a stand that company policy in employee handbook is above government made labour laws.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 January 2015

The employers push the HR personnel in the front.

The HR personnel:over enthusiastic or over ambitious or very needy of the job err by not educating the employer that policy has errors and establishment can be penalized......

You may submit a gentle communication in writing under proper acknowledgment to good offcies of appointing authority,MD......

Prior to that you can speak to Inspector appointed under the Act whose contact details should be available on the govt.website.......and satisfy yourself... 

Ankur Srivastava (Assistant Manager)     01 January 2015

Dear Mr. Kumar, Thank you for understanding the situation. I am hereby attaching a few pages from my company's leave policy and would like to understand your and other fellow members' views on this before knocking the doors of higher authorities. As you can all understand, labour laws are not so seriously implemented in India, despite the best intentions of our Honourable Prime Minister and any of my acts can hurt the ego of any of the higher authorities of my company. I hope you can understand.

Attached File : 513032393 futura leave policy.pdf downloaded: 93 times

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 January 2015

@Ankur,

You want someone else to wet your view point.

The only person that can do so and penalize the HR personnel termed as 'Idiot by you' is Inspector under 

Gujarat Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, and also under Payment of Wages Act::

The contact details of the Inspector (Labor Inspector might be functioning as Inspector under this Act and also as Inspector under Payment of Wages Act) and latest version of the Act might be available at the website of the Dept. of Labor or you may buy from market.

One version of the Act can be downloaded from:

https://www.citelegal.com/1858-gujarat-shops-establishment-act.html 

Holidays are separately provided for in the Act......(Sec:31)

Leave and pay during leave is separately provided for in the Act......(Sec:35,36)

In addition to CL-7,SL-7, leave for 4 additional days of National gazetted holidays is provided, Annual leave is entitled to an employee that has worked for 30 days in a year and it is apparently not stated that employee shall be eligible to avail it in next year..... 

It is good that you want to get what you deserve.......and you are a smart guy and you can very well relate.....

Speak to the Inspector for final understanding of the matter.

YOu should also maintain touch with Employee's/Trade Union Leaders....

Attached File : 513051611 gujarat s&e act.doc downloaded: 77 times

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 January 2015

You may proceed as advised by the above expert in this regard.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 January 2015

nothing more to add

Ankur Srivastava (Assistant Manager)     05 January 2015

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all your support and suggestions. I am into negotiation with HR department now and I hope we will reach a win win this time, without reaching a situation to file complaint against my company. In case, if unfortunately this fails, I will sure proceed to take legal action whatever is necessary.

regards,

Ankur Srivastava

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 January 2015

That is precisely what an employee should do:

1.Negotiate with Line managers/HR personnel/reporting authority/HOD etc  and remain amiable and gentle,concise,precise,specific and avoid emotional outbursts.

2. If Line managers/HR personnel/reporting authority/HOD etc do not provide any relief within reasonable time escalate to good offices of appointing authority, MD..........

3. If god offices do not provide relief approach lawful authority and court of law............thru an able Labor Law Consultant/Service Lawyer, Employee's/Trade Unions.......

4. Become member of employee's /Trade unions and be properly informed. The unions can help to form 'Works Commitee 'that is an authority as per ID Act and this committee shall have President from Employee's side and equal number of employees........................, GRC (Grievance Redressal Committe) that many states like Karnataka has made mandatory and this committee shall have equal number of employees................

The unions and committee's can negotiate service conditions and such issues as posted by you and employer shall always provide superior benefits  and shall not dare to provide inferior benefits............

Employee should defend his interest ...................................work sincerely and justify every penny of salary paid by employer...

H.JanakiManohar Rao (lawyer)     04 June 2015

The leave rules are very clear and as per rules.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register