Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjay (pvt)     28 April 2011

Driving License Renewal Receipt Validity

Hi,

I m residing in Mumbai. I have given my Driving License for renewal on 25th March 2011 (Expiry was on same day, License of Two & Four Wheeler MCWGLMV-TR).
I have not yet received new License, its one month now.
I am driving vehicle using that renewal receipt. I have been caught twice for not having driving license (but having renewal receipt) & the RTO police charged me Rs.400 each.
I want to know
1) how many days we can drive vehicle using renewal receipt (validity) ?
2) Within how many days I should receive license after it has given for renewal.
Thanks.

Learning

3 Replies

ANUJ SONI (advocate)     13 December 2012

Supreme Court of India

Supreme Court of India

Malla Prakasarao vs Malla Janaki And Ors. on 6 August, 2002

Equivalent citations: I (2006) ACC 300, SCSuppl 2004 (4) CHN 114

Bench: V Khare, S V.Patil, A Bhan

ORDER

CA No. 1613 of 1996

1. It is not disputed that the driving licence of the driver of the vehicle had expired on 20-11-1982 and the

driver did not apply for renewal within thirty days of the expiry of the said licence, as required under Section

11 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939. It is also not disputed that the driver of the vehicle did not have driving

licence when the accident took place. According to the terms of the contract, the Insurance Company has no

liability to pay any compensation where an accident takes place by a vehicle, driven by a driver without a

driving licence. In that view of the matter, we do not find any merit in the appeal.

2. The appeal fails and is, accordingly, dismissed. There shall be no order as to costs.

CAs Nos. 4661-84 of 2002 @ SLPs (Civil) Nos. 1084, 6799-6815 of 1998 and 3263-68 of 1999

3. Leave granted.

4. We have heard counsel for the appellant.

5. On 2-11-1990, a stage carriage belonging to Haryana State Roadways Transport Corporation met in an

accident with a tempo which was carrying passengers. As a result of the said accident, eight passengers

travelling in the tempo died and several other passengers received injuries. Subsequently, the dependants of

the deceased and the injured persons filed separate petitions for compensation before the Motor Accidents

Claims Tribunal. The Tribunal (found that the aforesaid accident took place due to negligence of the driver of

the vehicle owned by Haryana State Roadways Transport Corporation and, therefore, fastened the liability of

compensation on the Corporation. The Tribunal awarded different amounts of compensation to different

dependants of the deceased and the injured. Aggrieved, the State of Haryana and another preferred appeals

before the High Court, but the same were dismissed. It is against the said judgment of the High Court, the

appellants have come up to this Court.

6. Learned counsel urged that the appeals of the appellants were dismissed without considering the evidence

on record and the same, therefore, deserve to be set aside. We do not find any merit in the contention.

Admittedly, the appellants led no evidence before the Tribunal and, therefore, they cannot make any grievance

that the evidence was not considered by the High Court. No other point was pressed.

7. The appeals are, accordingly, dismissed. There shall be no order as to costs.

CA No. 28 of 2000

8. The appellants herein are the wife and children of the deceased, who died in a motor accident. The

deceased, a qualified doctor, was in government service. The appellants filed a claim petition before the

Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal. The Tribunal awarded compensation to the extent of Rs. 2,03,850 and a

sum of Rs. 86,000 on other heads. The claimants were not satisfied with the award of compensation, therefore,

preferred an appeal before the High Court. The High Court found that the income of the deceased was Rs.

40,000 per annum and after deducting 1/3rd of the amount, total dependency was Rs. 27,000. The High Court

by applying the multiplier of 14, enhanced the compensation to Rs. 3,78,000 from Rs. 2,03,850 along with

interest at the rate of 12 per cent. The claimants, still not satisfied with the award of compensation, have come

Malla Prakasarao vs Malla Janaki And Ors. on 6 August, 2002

Indian Kanoon - https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1552677/ 1

ANUJ SONI (advocate)     13 December 2012

mr , dont drive the vehicle unless u recieve the licence or above sc judgement will apply and punch the hole in your pocket. as u will be considered driving vehicle without license.

Basavaiah, (Retired)     27 December 2012

Best is to make a visit to your RTO and ask at the information/help counter.

In Bangalore Karnataka RTO the validity is 30 days (validity is mentioned on the renewal receipt)...  and usually they will send the renewed DL within two weeks after applying.  If the applicant does not recieve the renewed DL by post in 30 days the applicant can visit the RTO to get it.  If it is already dispatched and assumed lost by the postal dept. they will issue a new one. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register