LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhaskaran Advocate (Lawyer)     09 August 2008

Domestic Voilence Act

I have a case on hand pertaining to Domestic Voilence Act,  I am appearing for Respondent.

As I read the Act, I found that there is no defence left out for Respondent.  The Act has given wide powers for the Magistrate and police alike to deal with the matter unilateraly. 

The Act says that mere complaint by the woman is sufficient proof of comitting the voilence.

The women in my case herself is a very arrogant and angry lady having the wrath of the whole members of their family both in her matrimonial house and parental house.  It is also said that she had perpetuated the killing of her father through her brother for which her brother had undergone imprisonment.

Under these circumstances I am still perturbed how to protect my client the Respondent in this case.  

Any experience or any guidance/light in these type of cases my colleague's could throw upon.

I would be pleased to have.

Learning

4 Replies

Jatin Sapra 9312223345,Delhi (Advocate)     10 August 2008

Hello,

First of all u did not mentioned at wat stage the case is . As the bare reading of ur facts implies you had given one appearence only.  sec. 28 of DV Act gives discreationary  power to magistrate to adopt  any procedure according to circums.DV act cases are genrely based on pleadings  so wat  at this stage u can do is that u can file the certfied copy of the FIR and other documents as an annexure with your pleadings and further u will lead them  in ur evidence as respondence witnesses at the proper stage of the case.

Bhaskaran Advocate (Lawyer)     10 August 2008

Hi Jain and other of my collegues,

I have just appeared on the Respondent side and I am yet to be given the petition copy from the Petitioner.

The Respondent is a good samaritan and the petitioner women has filed this case just for the sake of harrasment and maybe to get some share in property or some money.

I do not know what are the stages that goes about in this case further and how I should go about defending my client. 

Since this is a new  practise of law where the Magistrate has huge powers to punish the Respondent if  I am not alert enough to defend properly.

manu (advocate)     10 August 2008

hello,

burden of proof is on the petitioner.

usually the witnesses will be from petitioners own circle that is her friends and relatives and when u cross examine them u can easily paint them as interested witnesses.

u can also take the defence that petitioner used to blackmail the respondent by forcing him to give her a laxurious life. in supprt of this defence u can lead some defence evidence.

Just like atrocities act though the cognisance of the offence is taken mere on the testimony of the petitioner it is not so easy to prove the same.

so nothing to worry.

good luck.

Bhaskaran Advocate (Lawyer)     17 August 2008

Thanks, so the burden of proof is on the Petitioner.

As for the Act it gives no proper way of defence. nothing is said about this burden of proving.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register