LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Does US Citizen need to maintain Valid passport at all time

A US minor is living in India. Is he required to maintain a valid passport at all times in India?

i.e - he came in india when passport is valid and now his passport has expired. If his passport is not renewed is he/his parents violating any indian  law -- if yes then which law?

Learning

4 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     19 December 2010

A US minor is living in India. Is he required to maintain a valid passport at all times in India?

Yes, it is mandatory to hold a valid passport through out his stay in India as per the Passport Act, however your query is unclear since without a valid passport the child is not allowed in India or if he has born in India then the parents need to apply for passport in India with the American Consulate else he can be treated as an Indian citizen. 

A V Vishal (Advocate)     19 December 2010

Originally posted by :A V Vishal
"

Yes, it is mandatory to hold a valid passport through out his stay in India as per the Passport Act, however your query is unclear since without a valid passport the child is not allowed in India or if he has born in India then the parents need to apply for passport in India with the American Consulate else he can be treated as an Indian citizen. 
"

If the passport is expired he can renew it at the American consulate in India

(Guest)

Mr. Vishal,

Thank you for your reply. Let me clarify

Child was born in US. So he is USA citizen. He was given 5 years passport. He came with his parents in india and at that time U.S  passport was still valid.

Now, with passage of time the passport expiry date has passed. I know that the passport can be renewed in US consulate.

But my query is more academic... to find out which act is applicable? what are the exact workings of the act? and what can be punishment if there is no valid passport? 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     27 November 2011

You are not talking of validity of VISA

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register