Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

k satish nair (Corporate Legal Service)     25 September 2017

Do AGM have the right to ban Tuition to school students at flat in housing society

Dear  Members,

I would like to no the legality  wherein   AGM  TEMPhas  made a resolution  on  banning the  tution to school students  by one of the member conducting in  her flat in  a housing society  by stating  dat  usage of  society lift and stair case may cause damage.  Though the member agree  for  not using the lift  by any of the student or their parents .   However  AGM  not agree for using the staircase also.  Please  guide  wat will be  legal remedy to reinstate  the  memebrs  fundamental right  to do her profession on her choise.

Learning

8 Replies

SHREY DAMBHARE   25 September 2017

See, Running of commercial activity in Housing society is  not permitted but as per Apartment or Housing Society Act of a particular State but there are some exceptions to this rule, It is always depend upon Apartment or Housing Society Act of relevent State in which profession or kind or commerical activity is exempted from running into Housing Society. However, you can approch Civil Court or Co-opertive Court as per your State. You should provide some more details such as State from which you belong, so to get proper advice. Meanwhile, you should consult good lawyer, and get stay of AGM order in your favour.  

k satish nair (Corporate Legal Service)     25 September 2017

Sir,

Thanks for your  advise , as expressed  ,  I  am belongs to  Maharashtra (  Maharashtra Bye-Laws applicable to us)

k satish nair (Corporate Legal Service)     26 September 2017

I believe  either  you are a bachelor or childless person,  Not  asked your  general view.  If  you don't know the legal stand don't waste the time of others.  This forum is for  issues  related  to law.

SHREY DAMBHARE   27 September 2017

Satish ji, I think law in respect of Co-operative Societies is sailent in respect of your case. Take my advice, You continue with what you were doing and let them take action against you. If you have owned property, so as per Maharashtra State Apartment Act you are free to do anything. However, here is in question Housing Society which is Co-operative Society. We don't know their bye laws. So, we are not aware what rights they have. Either you will have to asked for bye-laws of society so to secure your interest or let them take action against you, so that you can defend. As well as you have good case for defence.   

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     28 September 2017

In Maharashtra even General Body resolution is not necessary to ban tution classes. Use of a residential flat to run tution classes or any other activity other than banafide residence is known as 'change of user'. Such change of user requires permission of the Society and permission of the Municipality. At first the Society should give permission and then along with the permission you have to apply to the Municipality for permission. If the Municipality gives permission they will increase the property tax. As the AGM itself has refused permission you cannot run tution classes. It is not necessary to give reason such as use of the lift or any other to refuse permission. Even if a single member complains that is enough to refuse permission.

k satish nair (Corporate Legal Service)     29 September 2017

Sorry,  I am doubtful about your qualification and  profession  and knowledge.  This  is a  legal forum.

Dillon Coleman   17 March 2018

Many students comes here from different cities and villages to get higher education and then they can do a job also. This link provides best essay writing service uk and many online jobs to the poor students.

Kumar   27 August 2018

Tution means taking money for what one teaches. If you are staying in the residence where you teach, then one should not say your flat is being used for some. Other purpose. When you own a flat, you also hold share in common area like staircase, lift, parking etc, so no one can ban you from using for what you have paid. I hope disturbance is not only the problem, but some thing else. If you are not taking fees, then you are safe. If you are taking fees and teaching alone to the student, yhen it is not a commercial activity, instead it is self employment. You have right to leave. Just because you bought a flat which is one's baaic need you are not slave to any one. Please see it to that there will be no harm to common property and minimise diisturbance. All the best. You are doing a nation building noble job.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register