LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kalpana.S (-)     01 April 2008

Divorce by mutual consent

What are the procedures for obtaining divorce by mutual consent for Hindus, Muslims and Christians

Learning

20 Replies

Guest (n/a)     01 April 2008

i am practicing as an advocate in banglalore since 2004, am very much interested in joining lawyersclubindia.cm

am very much interested in joining this club

very much interested in joining this club

Rajendran Nallusamy (Advocate)     01 April 2008

You need to register by clicking the sign up form.

My Wife does not want to stay with me nor she is giving divorce to me.At present she is living with her parents for the last one year. Please give me solution how i can get rid of her.

If your wife is not interested to live with you and that from your query it is clear that even you want to get a divorce then you have a very simple solution of going in for Mutual Consent Divorce. Under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, you and your wife can file a mutual consent divorce and after the mandatory period of six months if there is no reconciliation between you and your wife then divorce your marriage will be disolved and a divorce shall be granted to you. Under this mutual consent divorce you and your wife can decide upon the terms and conditions with regard to the following in detail:- 1. Alimony 2. Maintenance to be claimed by your wife; 3. If there are any issues then the custody and visitation rights of the other parent; 4. With regard to the gifts and other articles excahnged at the time of marriage. 5. Other relvant terms and conditions that shall be necessary from your and your wife's point of view in future. You have a clear case where you can approach the Court for Mutual Consent Divorce under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act. If you are not a Hindu then also under law you can file for mutual consent divorce.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     01 April 2008

Under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 the spouses, who desire a divorce by mutual consent, have to present a joint petition in the court which has an appropriate jurisdiction. The parties, presenting such a petition, must claim with proof that:

they have been living separately for a period of one year;

they have not been able to live together;

they have mutually agreed that marriages should be dissolved.

Once the petition for Divorce by mutual consent is filed, the Court gives the parties 6 months' times to reconsider. The Court may pass a decree of divorce after a period of 6 months from the date of presentation of the petition and not later than 18 months after the date of presentation, incase the petition is not withdrawn.

IN muslim law:

He may pronounce talaq orally, as long as the words used by him are unambiguous and express his definite intention. Such talaq takes effect immediately. He can also write it out (talaqnama) in which he expresses his intention or records the oral talaq, which need not necessarily be registered. The talaqnama also takes effect immediately.

However, if the man is a Shia, he must pronounce it orally, unless he is physically incapable of doing so. He must also keep in mind that he has to pronounce it in Arabic.

Delegation of power to divorce (tufweez): Ordinarily the husband alone can give talaq to his wife. However, a husband may delegate the power to give talaq to the wife or even a third person. This 'delegated power' is operative only on the existence of certain circumstances which must be reasonable and consistent with the principles of Muslim law. If the circumstances that are mentioned exist, the wife is at liberty to divorce her husband. Such authority, if delegated for a temporary period, is considered irrevocable. On the other hand, if it is delegated permanently, it is revocable.

Khula and Mubarat: A Khula is a form of divorce with the consent and at the initiative of the wife. The wife gives or agrees to give a consideration to the husband for her release from the marriage tie. E.g. relieving the husband from payment of mahr to the wife may be a consideration. However, non-payment of consideration will not invalidate such a divorce.

When both husband and wife want to end the marriage they can do so by mutual consent. Such a transaction is known as mubarat.

Delegation of power to divorce (tufweez): Ordinarily the husband alone can give talaq to his wife. However, a husband may delegate the power to give talaq to the wife or even a third person. This 'delegated power' is operative only on the existence of certain circumstances which must be reasonable and consistent with the principles of Muslim law. If the circumstances that are mentioned exist, the wife is at liberty to divorce her husband. Such authority, if delegated for a temporary period, is considered irrevocable. On the other hand, if it is delegated permanently, it is revocable.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     01 April 2008

Regarding Christian law: Any person, professing the Christian religion, is a Christian for the purpose of the Indian Christian Marriage Act. Hence a person, although not baptised, can be a Christian to be governed under the Indian Christian Marriage Act. There is no provision in the Indian Christian Marriage Act to the effect that marriage amongst Indian Christians can be proved only by affirmatively establishing that the provisions of Sec. 5 of the Act were complied with or by production of a certified copy of the marriage certificate as permitted by Sec. 80 of that Act. An admission by either of the spouses of the fact of marriage; the evidence of eye-witnesses who were present during the marriage ceremony; the subsequent conduct of the couple in living as husband and wife for some time; and the opinion expressed of conduct by persons who had special means of knowledge, are all recognised modes of proof of a marriage, and may be admitted in evidence to prove a marriage among Indian Christians. Thus, essentially, although no traditional ceremonies are required with regard to marriage under the Christian Marriage Act, the certificate of marriage, issued by the pastor of a church, is a statutory document and is prima facie evidence of marriage between the parties. Strict proof is needed from a person who seeks to rebut this presumption.

Kalpana.S (-)     01 April 2008

Thanks Mr.Sriram. However, I am not clear about the procedure for mutual consent for Christians

B R 123456 (UNEMP)     02 April 2008

Dear Sir I want to know if wife not want to stay with me and threat me that she not giving me divorse then what I do Rajesh

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     02 April 2008

You can file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights seeking your wife to join you

B R 123456 (UNEMP)     02 April 2008

Dear Sir But now i am not interested to stay with her i want divorce form her

SANJAY DIXIT (Advocate)     02 April 2008

The law relating to divorce of a person professes the Christian religion, is goverened by The Indian Divorce Act, 1869. S. 10-A of The Indian Divorce Act, 1869 (Amendment Act, 2001) deals with the provisions & procedures of DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE BY MUTUAL CONSENT.

Guest (n/a)     03 April 2008

As per Hindu law file an application under section 13 B of the Hindu Marriage Act by both the parties this can be done only after one year of marriage. The family juriprudence in India encourage maintaining family relations so there is an incubation period of six month for which the parties will have to wait this is intended for reinstating broken relationship which the court can waive depending upon special circumstances

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register