LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mrinmoy (Software Engineer)     11 November 2014

Designation of proprietor

Can a proprietor of a business which provides software services designate himself/herself as CEO/Director/MD?

Learning

10 Replies

V M DAHAKE (PROPRIETOR)     11 November 2014

Hi,

You can designate yourself as CEO or any other administrative designation. Director / M.D. are governed by statutory provisions and are applicable for corporate form. Putting such designations is likely to make others believe that it is a corporate set up.

Mrinmoy (Software Engineer)     11 November 2014

Originally posted by : V M DAHAKE

Hi,

You can designate yourself as CEO or any other administrative designation. Director / M.D. are governed by statutory provisions and are applicable for corporate form. Putting such designations is likely to make others believe that it is a corporate set up.

As I run a business which provides software services, I can hire CTO, HR Managers, Project Managers, Software Engineers etc. etc. Right?

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     12 November 2014

A sole proprietorship is the oldest and the most common form of business. It is a one-man organisation where a single individual owns, manages and controls the business. Its main features are :-

• The firm has no legal existence separate from its owner.
  • The liability of the proprietor is unlimited i.e. it extends beyond the capital invested in the firm.

Mrinmoy (Software Engineer)     12 November 2014

Originally posted by : ramachary64@gmail.com

A sole proprietorship is the oldest and the most common form of business. It is a one-man organisation where a single individual owns, manages and controls the business. Its main features are :-

The firm has no legal existence separate from its owner.

The liability of the proprietor is unlimited i.e. it extends beyond the capital invested in the firm.

That I know. Can such kind of businesses hire employees?

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     13 November 2014

Yes he can hire employees for his business.

Mrinmoy (Software Engineer)     13 November 2014

Originally posted by : Ravinder.P

Yes he can hire employees for his business.

And they can be given any designation like CTO, HR Managers, Project Managers, Software Engineers etc. etc. Right?

Anand Bali Adv. (Advocate Solicitor & Consultant)     14 November 2014

See there is no bar in the designations which can be taken up by any person like MD Director etc B ut on the other hand there are the designated posts in Corporate sectors where as per the company Law a person holds the position od a Director Or Managing Director.

As per the Black's dictionary of Law the the Director is a person who has the capacity to direct and CEO is the person who is chief of the executives who execute the orders of the superiors.

So the verbal meanings has been taken where an individual in a  proprietorship organisation adopts such titles.  Though these are to mislead persons to give impression of a Corporate house.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 November 2014

Hiring employees to run the company as per the requirement is the discretion of the proprietor, there is no necessity to ask opinion from anyone about this.

Rajanikanth KN   17 December 2015

I am a proprietor. Can I change  my designation as MD (Managing Director) as suggested above?

and also please suggest where we can use "Chairman" designation. Thanks for your advise in advance.

Raja   12 September 2016

Can a husband (wife is proprietor) can have the card printed as CEO?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register