Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Puneet (consultant)     31 August 2012

Daughters claim on ancestral property after registered will

Dear Experts,

My grandfather has 7 childerns 3 sons and 4 daughters.

We have an appeal files against us from our 2 of the younger aunts (bua) to claim the share in the ancestral property. The other 2 elder aunts (one of them died 2 months back) dont want any share in the property so they have givens us the affidevit stating the same. 

However my grandfather had registered a will in 1976 (when he was 55 years old), stating the equal share in all the property. He died in 2006 when he was 85. The witnesses also died but the will is registered.

The claim in the appeal is as follows:

1. The will is forged and bogus to should be null and void.

2. that my grandfather used to live with them and they cremeted them ( which is not true at all).

3. They want share in the ancestral property.

However i read the following in the 2005 law ammendment in "The Hindu succession (Amendment) 2005"

"A daughter become the copancer in her own right in the same manner as son and have same rights in the coparcenary property be subject to the same liabilities in respect of the same coparcenary property as that of son."

Provided that nothing conatined in this subsection shall affect or invalidate any disposition or alienation including any partition or testamentary disposition of property which had taken place before the 20th day of december, 2004.

Point to note that we have always serverd the aunts well and provided help what we could, that is why other 2 has not asked for any share. And the case was regiestered only 2-3 years ago when the rate of properties started climbing. We were shocked to recieve summons before any prior information from their side.

Now as i understand testamentary disposition ( registered will) has taken place before 2004, so still the claim is valid or we have any chance to win.

􀀩􀀦􀀁􀀩􀀪􀀯􀀥􀀶􀀁􀀴􀀶􀀤􀀤􀀦􀀴􀀴􀀪􀀰􀀯􀀁􀀉􀀢􀀮􀀦􀀯􀀥􀀮􀀦􀀯􀀵􀀊􀀁􀀢􀀤􀀵􀀍􀀁􀀓􀀑􀀑􀀖

Learning

2 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     31 August 2012

dear querist,

i am a little confused with your query,you are stating that your grand father had made a will stating equal share in all property? equal share to all daughters and son ?if he had made clear in his will that equal share to daughters then daughters are also eligible for share depending upon the limitation and doctrin of relquishment.

presuming equal share in all property for only sons (as there were no right of daughters in the ancessotral property in 1976)

the claim of daughters is not maintanable as per hindu succsesion act 1956 and amendment act 2005.

if he had made clear in his will that equal share to daughters then daughters are also eligible for share depending upon the limitation and doctrin of reliquishment if not applied.

Puneet (consultant)     01 September 2012

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your quick response !! My Grandfather had made the will for equal share only for his sons in all his ancestral/own acuired property ( Property is explictly mentioned in the will that what all in his possession).

I would like to have your advice on, that can the will be challenged though it is a registred will, but now no witness or my grandfather is alive.

Also a point that My father and his brothers did not do a registered partition amongest them but they did do intekall after my grandfathers death. Does it has implication on our case?

Thanks a lot !!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register