Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mamta (lecturer)     26 February 2013

Cyber law

Dear Legal Advisers

I am curious to know, how are legal claims related to online medical consultation settled. Are there any specific laws to guide how should a client (who seeks medical opinion online, agrees to a disclaimer but then wants to sue the online doctor for error in judgment ) seek the help of law!

Learning

7 Replies

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     28 February 2013

hello,

can you please elaborate your query a bit ?

regards-

rahul.gogreen@gmail.com

mamta (lecturer)     28 February 2013

Details of my question: In case I log into a health consultation online. Are there any specific laws pertaining to medical consultation online. In short is the doctor liable for the opinion he has given in n online forum on a medical issue in INDIA and also ABROAD.

Rahul Kapoor (Legal Enthusiast)     28 February 2013

he has only opined his opinion, its upto u to follow

have u paid any fees  ?

Dear Rahul My question is not about any specfic scenario. I want to know about the legal asoects of online consultation. I am a doctor myself and am interested to know the consumer and provider liablities in online medical consultation in INDIA and ABROAD.

(Guest)

@Querist,

Unless you pay some consideration to the doctor you are seeking advice of, he/she is not liable in any matter relating to his/her advice.

If you pay and get wrong advice for which you bear any kind of loss/damage,you may go to consumer forum in your jurisdiction.

In online forums, either the consultant or the website company may be liable,but depends upon the terms and conditions of those parties i.e. the doctor or the website or both mutual agreements.

In case of disclaimer made by the website or the doctor or as the case may be,and you paid for the service too,whether the doctor advice was wrong or right and ,whether he/she liable to pay for the loss or damage you incurred due to that suggestion or advice, is a matter of question to establish the fact and cannot be determined in advance.Act done in good faith is not liable to become a punishable offence.

I have given sufficient explanation in my view.........

Note-This reply should be taken as per the declaration given in my profile page.

Thanks,

Regards,

[Last reply to this thread]

Thats really elaborate! Though it still makes me think that we have nospecific laws. thanks for ur opnion.

JT Rajasuriya, Chennai (Advocate 98410 53790)     28 February 2013

Ms Mamta,

Professionals will be liable as per their own ethical standards fixed, and would be subject to scrutiny under various laws. For online transactions, apart from usual laws, the Information Technology Act shall also be made applicable.

So, the moment a professional doctor sets down to give advice, it should be based on procedures prescribed by usual medical standards.

Personally, I request that let not the commercialization of medicine be to an extent that any avenue is exploited for the said purpose. If it's going to be useful to the patient's then go ahead - otherwise kindly desist from such efforts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register