Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deepak Chiripal (cc)     10 February 2015

Company's refusal to pay dues despite making me work.

Hello Sir,

I have worked for a company called Writers@Work based in NCR. I am residing in Kolkata. After a month of writing about 140,000 words for them amounting to about Rs. 27500/- they terminated my appointment and are refusing to pay for all the work i have done. What options do i have to make them pay my dues?
Please reply and help. Moreover, can i claim the work i have done as my Intellectual Property?

Deepak.

Learning

4 Replies

shrivaishnavmukund   23 February 2015

I guess you take proper legal advice from lawyer, you can take company to labour court for non payments of wages. 

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     25 February 2015

You can claim your work as Intellectual property if your intellect is involved in creating something new and novel.  However the remedy under law of Intellectual property will not be suitable because even if court grants the order that it is your intellectual property, you cannot make use of it unless you are a reputed author and the people who wanted to purchase that from your employer would purchase it from you.  Instead of that you can try your remedy under Payment of Wages Act, 1936 which is a labor law.  Please note that labor court will not consider arguments on whether it is Intellectual property or not.  The forums for filing of cases under labor law and law of intellectual property are not same.  Don't be confused about it.

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     26 February 2015

Delhi Labour Department accepts complaints online and file a complaint with brief details.

shrivaishnavmukund   26 February 2015

Sir, the cheaper option to get free legal aid is to go  LOK AKYOUT where your will get your dispute resolved.

Please refer legal service authorities act 1987.

get proper advice by aproaching high court of your state, there is free legal aid center or to nearby court and ask for LOK AKYOUT address.

I guess your problem will be solved

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register