Pl find attached notification dated 30.7.2016. Following amendments have been made in the Child Labour (Prohibition & Regulation) Act 1986:
1) The name of the Act has been changed to "The Child and Adolescent (Prohibition and Regulation) Act 1986."
2) In view of Right of Children to Free & Compulsory Education Act 2009, engagement of children below 14 years will now be prohibited in all occupations or processes except where child helps his family after school hours or as an artist in audio-visual entertainment industry.
3) A new category of persons called "adolescent" has been introduced. Employment of adolescent will be prohibited in hazardous occupations as specified (mines, inflammable substances and hazardous processes).
4) Penalty for contravention of various provisions of the Act has been increased.
5) Offence under the Act has been made cognizable (i.e. person concerned can be arrested without warrant).
6) Govt may empower District Magistrate to ensure that the provisions of the law are properly carried out.
7) Govt is also empowered to make periodic inspection of places at which employment of children and adolescents are prohibited.
The amendments will be effective from a date to be notified by the Govt.