LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Cheque issued in name of deceased after one month of his dea

Cheque issued in name of deceased after one month of his death – Nothing on record to show that the applicants who claim as legal heirs of deceased were holder in due course

In the present case, admittedly, the cheque was issued in the name of deceased after one month of his death. Prima facie, the applicants, who claim as legal heirs of Mahendrabhai Patel (deceased), were required to honestly inform the Banker of the deceased Mahendrabhai of the fact of his death while they sought to present the cheque in the account of the deceased and to take further steps in respect of account of the deceased with his Banker. None of the applicants were named as payee of the cheque and the learned Additional Sessions Judge rightly observed that there was nothing on record on the basis of which it can be said that the applicants were holder in due course. Under these circumstances, unless the applicants were authorised by Succession Certificate or Letter of Administration or Probate, if any granted by the competent Civil Court in respect of the amount in question payable by the cheque in the name of the deceased, they could not have insisted upon the drawer to pay the amount of dishonoured cheque without lawfully entering into the shoes of the deceased payee. Under these circumstances, the complaint was not maintainable and the order of issuance of process was result of non-application of judicious mind by the learned Magistrate to the essential elements of the offence punishable under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act. That being so, the impugned judgment and order by Revisional Court is correct, proper and legal and no interference is warranted under Section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

Equivalent Citation: II(2012)BC431;i 2011 ALL MR (Cri) 3533
IN THE HIGH COURT OF BOMBAY
Crl. Appln. No. 1657 of 2010
Decided On: 25.07.2011
Appellants: Leelaben Mahendrabhai Patel & Ors.
Vs.
Respondent: Nitin Ramesh Baheti & Ors.

Learning

2 Replies

manoj joshi (advocate LEGAL ADVISOR AT IDBI BANK)     31 March 2013

YES ITS TRUE BT PRIMA FECIE HE HAVE TO FACE THE COURT

sreevichin (head)     01 April 2013

I received a cheque from one Mrs A.  for Rs 10,00,000/- post dated 2023.. I paid Rs 1400/-to Mrs A What was orally agreed is that RS 1400 will be invested in real estate transaction herself and she will return 10,00,000 after 13 years. But I heard Mrs A has died recently ,  Though the amount i have parted with Mrs A is small , What can be done with the post dated cheque signed by the person who is now no more.Can it have some value at all.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register