Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kishan Suryakant Shetti   02 November 2019

Cheated on my designation

Hello,

I'm 31 year old Digital Adevertising professional who has worked for Google previously in Hyderabad. I was offered Asst. Manager - Media Ops designation in April 2019 and was called to Mumbai on a really short notice. When I arrived for joining formalities, I was given a completely different job title to sign i.e. " Asst. Campaign Manager" which is really lower and more importantly doesn't exist in the advertising industry. They told me that it was mistake and wrong designation was offered to me initially. 

After few months of my work, I was told that my designation will be corrected and it will be changed as per the industry standard. However, now after 7 months, they are offering me "Campaign Supervisor" position which again does not exist in the Industry and stripping me off my managerial position. Also, now they are telling me that you are not fit for Manager position. They hired me based on my manager level experience at Google and now completely turning around. 

1. Asst. Manager - Media Ops

2. Asst. Campaign Manager        (Doesn't exist in the industry)

3. Campaign Supervisor              (Doesn't exist in the industry)

Also, now they are telling me that I'm not fit for manager position. Can someone please help me in this regard? I'm planning to file a complaint on my company since they are trying to spoil my career. 

Would really appreciate your suggestions in this matter. 

Best,

Kishan

Learning

7 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     03 November 2019

Find alternate employment, and preserve all the orders, etc., and then file a civil suit seeking compensation for ruining your career.  You can not be an employee and fight with the employer during employment, as it disturbs your peace of mind, the employer always seeks to find faults to further harass you. But take care of the limitation period..  Any advocate that is practicing jurisdictional court can comprehensively guide you on further course of action.

Kishan Suryakant Shetti   03 November 2019

How are you so confident that I will be a looser in the end? Can you please explain?

Thanks for your suggestion sir. I will keep that as an option too. I have been working in a disturbed state of mind from past 7 months now. However, I have an exceptional track record at my work and the quality of service for Asia Pacific Region. Only issue I have is with the HR based out of India. As of now, I can manage to file a complaint and also work at the same time since most of my team is based out of Singapore and Australia. Will that help me in any way?

Perceptions may differ and in the end the final destination is peace of mind.  It is your career and you are the best judge.to decide as to whether the designation is so particularly important when the resume mentions not only designation but also duties assigned, accomplishments and other factors.

Okay. But don't understand the logic in it. If designation does not matter how will I grow in my career? This company hired me becuase of the Designation and experience I had in my previous company. Or else they would not had hired me.

You are right, designations do count for a career even in India, in Banking jobs, though the scale and pay may be one, designation as AGM, GM matters much..  In several Banks, several senior employees may be drawing several times more than the newly direct recruited Manager.  But the issue is assuring one designation and offering another designation at the time of joining.  I believe this as not fair practice, and as a senior executive in Media, it is a presumption that you can not take any guidance and will always pros and cons with learned friends and with your advocate, before proceeding into litigation in the issue.  I personally knew several persons taking up jobs for designation, and salary is not a constraint to those persons who feel social status, prestige is one.  Just search in any public authority's website, in which as voluntary disclosure, they publish names of TOP EARNERS in the organization, and you find many names with much lesser designations earning more depending on their service and specialization.

Kishan Suryakant Shetti   04 November 2019

Okay cool. Yeah will take some suggestions from appropriate people.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register