change of name and the correct process /steps to follow

Hello experts,

Please guide and throw some lights on my query,

I like to change my present format of name to a new format and like to delete unwanted letters too. 
I am married and yet to apply for Passport and also planning to move abroad for work purpose.

I have PAN card,Adhar card,Voter ID, Education certificates and professional certificates with my present name.

My present name is XYZ ABC LMN and my desired new name is ABC XYZ.

As I am from Manipur, our community differs from others with respect to name convention.
Where XYZ is surname/Yumnak , Through these Yumnak, the genealogy of Meitei/Meetei can be traced.
ABC is my preferred name, LMN is derived from being Hindu and it is use for gender identification.

I would like to print the new name to my Passport if I can get the documents ready ahead of application and would like to know more of the related process and documents to prepare.
Do I need to change my name to other educational documents,professional documents etc after I am able to change my name to my desired new name ?

Please guide with the steps,related process for easy and transparent work. 

Lawyer in Hyderabad.wats app no.9989324294

The name correction can be done through gazette notification from govt. of India.Obtain  an application & procedure for name correction in the printing & stationery department in your state. 



Before publication in (State) and not Union gazzettee the changed (new) name is required to be made on a sworn/ attested affidavit and published in 2 (One in local language and other in English) newspaper.

It has a specific procedure, consult a local lawyer.


Dear Client,

Please refer the  expert query I replied on this site vide:http://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Application-for-change-in-name-610446.asp. You'd find the answer. Thoroughly I discussed the procedure fo rname change which takes about  3 month  including change of name to new one in Official documents.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

Indian Evidence Act     |    x