Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanam (self emp)     28 February 2013

Change of birth year on bc

Hi there,

I have an issue regarding the year of registration on my BC. First of all let me start by saying that my BC was recently issued by court as I was not able to find mine. I was born in 1958 and at that time there was no registration system. Plus I was born at home not hospital. i tried my best to search for previous records all i could find is my school certificates which mentioned my date of birth. I hired an attorney and he did the needful by getting the court to issue a new BC for me. 

Now my real concern is that I recently found out that my mother is a former portuguese citizen and I could be entitled for citizenship as an adult child. So I got all the necessary documents needed to file my registration in portugal. Unfortunately, according to portuguese Nationality law, an adult child can only be entitled for citizenship if and only if the child's birth has been registered by his/her parents before the child turns 18! So according to that my recent issued BC mentions the date of registration as 19/9/2012 instead of my actual birth date i.e 19/9/1958. This will actually deny my application for the citizenship! Is there a way out to request court to grant permission to change the YEAR? Can this be done? 
P.S: Both my parents are dead and none of my siblings have any of their births ever registered by my parents as all were born at home!

Please help!
Many thanks
Sanam

Learning

6 Replies

SRISHAILA.DHARANI (Advocate&consultant)     28 February 2013

File an application in the court for correction in the decree, provided you mention the same in the original suit.

srishaila,advovate,bangalore,9741425514,sdharani120@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply. Just another clarification, as the court ordered for the issue of the Birth Certificate earlier dont you think they will object asking why change of date of the registration now? If no then how can I prepare my case? Can my school leaving certificates make my case stronger? Many thanks.

Sorry, Also what do you mean by original suit?

SRISHAILA.DHARANI (Advocate&consultant)     28 February 2013

your school leaving certificate is ok 

original suit  means civil case in the civil court

Thanks! You think it will work? has there been cases like mine before? you think mentioning the reason of portuguese citizenship application will make it a valid reason? Sorry for so many questions.

(Guest)

@Querist,

This is a forum to discuss matter related to INDIA and INDIAN LAW and not 'Portugal'.

Note-This reply should be taken as per the declaration given in my profile page.

Thanks,

Regards,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register