Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunjoy   30 October 2019

Challan under mv act

Hi 

I live in Uttam Nagar New Delhi

My maids husband had a challan of his scooter as he was driving without a Helmet, Had no driving license.

The traffic police constable has taken away my maids scooter original RC.

In addition when I checked the challan online I see that there are the following sections under which the challan has to be paid

Challan in the Name of My maid's Husband

1: Driving without License (3/181 MVA) [Fine - 0]
2: Driving without Helmet (Rider / Pillion Rider) (194D MVA) [Fine - 0]

As the scooter is in my maid's name the second challan is on her under

1: Allowing Unauthorised Person To Drive (5/180 MVA) [Fine - 0]

The challan is not showing any amount but I have found online that the total challan payable under the following sections is around Rs. 11000.

My maid is very poor and cannot afford this type of money. As she has just started working in my house I am a bit sceptical to lend her that money as it would take her a year to repay it back and I am not very sure if she will last that long as help as she is already planning to move back to her native Bihar after this incident.

She is scared to go to court as she feels that if she is unable to pay the challan and she may go to jail.

What is the solution to this. I read about community service as an option. How can it be done.

Is there no relaxation of challan fine for such poor people.

Please let me know

Regards

Sujoy

Learning

11 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     30 October 2019

That is Govt Policy

I wish you were a litlle generious to help your maid by paying her and dedcut whatever possible from her salary

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     30 October 2019

You help her to write to Nitin Gadkari.

Sb Karma   30 October 2019

Hello Sunjoy

Does he have any valid documents with him,if he have then just go to RTO and show them within time limit,then he may avoid big fine,otherwise he 100% needs to pay the fine.

So be quick and go to RTO with all valid documents.

Sunjoy   30 October 2019

Dear Karma

The RC is in the court of a Magistrate of Dwarka New Delhi. Her husband has been fined for not having a DL. What documents can be shown in the RTO to avoid fine.

Also if the RC is in court does going to the RTO help.

Please suggest

Sunjoy

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     30 October 2019

If the RC is in court, it is illegal to approach RTO for a duplicte RC. You have to retrieve it from the court only. There does not appear to be an alternative to pay the fine. You can try by appointing a good lawyer and pleading before the court.

Sb Karma   31 October 2019

Originally posted by : Sunjoy
Dear Karma

The RC is in the court of a Magistrate of Dwarka New Delhi. Her husband has been fined for not having a DL. What documents can be shown in the RTO to avoid fine.

Also if the RC is in court does going to the RTO help.

Please suggest

Sunjoy

I thought he forget his DL,RC,PUC etc at home,thats why i suggest to go to RTO,but if his docs are seized and submit to court,then you have to go through COURT only,no alternative way is there.

Even if he applied duplicate copies and drive bike,it will create more complications.So hire a good lawyer and try to solve the matter.

Vikram Sarkar   31 October 2019

duplicate will not be issued till original is available

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 November 2019

You have to go by only what is stated in the Chalan. As the chalan says zero fine you claim that the person has committed no punishable offence. Hence pray to the court to release the RC book You look for a lawyer who gives free legal aid to poor people.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 November 2019

There are laws against excessive disproportionate punishments. One will have to argue under them. You should get a good lawyer for the purpose.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     02 November 2019

The recent amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act piloted by Nitin Gadkari prescribing excessive punishments, is barbaric and uncivilised and is typical of the Modi Government. The United States of America was the first democracy in the World.  It was founded in 1789. But even as early as 1791 the 8th amendment to the Constitution was passed. It reads thus:

The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution was passed in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, which contains the first ten amendments to the Constitution. It was based largely on the English Bill of Rights. The text of the Eighth Amendment forbids:

1. Imposing excessive bail to those being held in custody on suspicion of crime;
  2. Imposing excessive fines to those convicted of crimes; and
  3. Cruel and Unusual Punishment to those convicted of crimes.

The Eighth Amendment prohibits the above-listed items from being done by federal, state and local governments. The Supreme Court has ruled that the amendment applies to state law as well as federal law. The later 14th amendment also stated that the amendments to the federal Constitution apply to the states, as well.

Since the phrases included in the Eighth Amendment are somewhat open to interpretation, the Supreme Court rules as to the meaning of the phrases when the matters come up in Supreme Court cases.

The English Bill of rights was passed in 1689 one year after the Glorious Revolution of 1688. England was an evolving democracy and was mother of American democracy.

The recent amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act must be challenged if necessary in the Supreme Court. You try to take your case to eminent lawyers like Prashant Bhushan.

Our Constitution also needs an amendment like the 8th amendment of US constitution.

Jyoti Wason   23 November 2019

you can go to Lok Adalat and Tell your problem to the court and challan will be reduced to 70 % Dwarka courts are very generous in such matters

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register