LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Durai (MS)     14 March 2016

Car insurance

Hi, my car was affected by the chennai flood Dec 2015. On taking my vechile to company they quoted an estimate value nearly 85% of the IDV value. The insurance company declared the vechile as total loss. I went to office to discuss the claim process. One of the staff gave me three options 1. Take the claim amount and leave the vehicle in their yard. Car becomes their property. 2. They find a salvage buyer, buyer settles money and insurance company settles the difference of claim amount to me. The salvage buyer retains the car. 3. Car treated as scrap and scrap rate deducted from claim amount. The balance settled to me and I retain my car. Originally the claim amount offered was not acceptable so when asked the stuff said that I have to claims manager. I spoke to him and we got the claim value fixed. I did not get the 3 options offered to me in writing so this time I wanted to fix the claim amount in writing. So I signed the form given to me by the claims manager. I questioned two this on the form 1. The word net of salvage, asked them why instead of total loss net of salvage is being used, to which they replaid that's how they refer internally. 2. Then the lines which said the car had to be handed to their yard. When asked they replaid that nothing to worried of this form is to say that we have agreed on this claim amount. I was planning to go for the 2 or 3rd option, but to my surprise I got a call from the insurance company two days later saying that the claim has been processed and the cheque is ready to be collected asking me to deliver the vehicle to their yard. I told the lady on the phone that I never asked for the claim to be settled for total loss so cancel the claim. During this conversation the claims manager was on the parallel line listening to over conversation. When I told the lady that the claims manager is aware of this and I need this to be processed as cash loss the 3rd option the claims manager jumped into our conversation and said the claim has been processed and nothing can be done. I rang IRDA in regards to this, they advised me to call the insurance company's grievance cell. I rang them and explained the situation, but to my vein they to came back saying that I have signed for total loss and nothing can be done. Please advise what can be done now. Is there a way to get this sorted and get my claim sorted as cash loss? Or should I surrender my vehicle to them taking the claim amount? Regards Durai

Learning

1 Replies

Dsouza   15 March 2016

Please mention name of insurance company, it helps as each operate a bit differently, some are blacklisted by states for certain reasons etc; we could then give specific advise at times.

First of all you have to get the IDV value mentioned on the policy in case of theft or Total Loss. Insurers con you as they know people don't know.

Stick to IDV and for third option if you want to retain car but need a costing from the salvage person/company. Do all this in writing, you can find Nodal officer's email id on their website.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register