Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Albert (Manager)     31 March 2013

Capital gain tax on sale of jewellery

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please note my mother (56 Years old) is a housewife & have no source of income. Last month she has sold her jewellery which she had got from her mother in law after her death in 1992. So I am requesting you please tell me now she has to file income tax return if yes then how much capital gain tax she has to pay.

She has received Rs. 550000 after selling the whole jewellery.

Please advice me if the capital gain on sold gold jewellery is 256000 after calculation then my mother have to file income tax returns and have to pay capital gain tax 20% on 56000 = 11200 (256000-200000 = 56000) because as per the income tax basic exemption limit is Rs. 200,000 for resident woman below 60 years of age for AY 2013-14.

Please reply me accordingly.

Learning

4 Replies

Osama Kadiwal (Proprietor)     01 April 2013

yes ur mom is liable to file I T Return

ARVIND KUMAR SINGHAL (SENIOR ADVOCATE)     02 April 2013

If  the total income of ur mother for one financial year includes income from any other sources( Salary, rent, business etc) and such income (Other than capital gain )  is below exemption limit which is not chargable to tax, then long term capital gain amount  shall be reduced to the extent of exemption limit but If there is no other income other than Longterm capital gain then on  total capital gain amount tax shall be charged @ 20%   for example :

i)  Income from capital gain    Rs 256000/

ii) Income from any other source   Rs.  25000/

Total income ( i+ii)                            Rs.281000

Tax liability for FY 2012-13 (281000-200000)=81000 Tax @20% =16200/

If she has no other income except capital gain She will not get the benefit of basic exemption limit 

Tax shall be charged @ 20% on total capital gain amount  i.e. 256000 x20% = 51200/= 

This position is very clear under the act

A.K. Singhal

Sr Advocate

M.R.K.PRASAD-Advocate (SELF)     04 April 2013

Basic exemption limit can be availed even you have no other income except capital gain, but Chapter VI A deduction can not be availed.  If you have business or other source income, if your income except capital gain after deduction of VI A is less than basic exemption, then the remaining amount can be deducted in capital gain.  you can check the same in ITR 4 of income tax dept excel format..

Dr. M. C. Gupta (Associate Professor)     05 April 2013

I am in full agreement with Shri M. R. K. Prasaad ji.that "Basic exemption limit can be availed even you have no other income except capital gain, but Chapter VI A deduction can not be availed". Inhis casecalso there is no income other then Long Term Capital Gain.

But I vry humbly disagree with the views expressed by Shree Arvind Kumar Singhal ji that "... but If there is no other income other than Longterm capital gain then on  total capital gain amount tax shall be charged @ 20% " As per provisio to  section 112(1) of the I. T. Act 1961, ".....t where the total income (i.e. Capital gains Rs 2, 56, 000+Income from other sources as nil) reduced by such long-term capital gains i.e. remaining income from sources other than capital gain ( in the present case it is Nil) is below the maximum amount which is not chargeable to income-tax, Rs. 2, 00, 000  - Nil or ZERO  is by all meanings is below  the maximum amount which is not chargeable to income-tax then, such long-term capital gains shall be reduced by the amount by which the total income as so reduced falls short of the maximum amount which is not chargeable to income-tax  ( in our case it falls short of full Rs 2, 00,000 )and the tax on the balance of such long-term capital gains (Rs. 2, 56, 000-2, 00, 000) = Rs 56, 000 only, shall be computed at the rate of twenty per cent.

I want to stress on the point that there is no mention in secion 12(1) prov.that  .... If there is no other income other than Long term capital gain then on  total capital gain amount tax shall be charged @ 20% "

The benefit shall be available in the Capital Gain Tax liability to the extent of Short fall even if the income from sources other than Capital Gains is Nil. 

Hence: the tax liability of your mother is rightly calculated to be Rs. 11, 200 + EC@3% being Rs. 336 omly.

I also endorse the view taken by Shri M. R. K. Prasaad ji that ...."if your income except capital gain after deduction of VI A is less than basic exemption, then the remaining amount can be deducted in capital gain" althogh is not relevant in this case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register