Share on Email

Share More

Vinu   19 September 2016

Capital gain tax computation

My mother had purchased a land in the year 2001 for 210000

Cost of Land 160000
+ 30000 for registration 
+ 20000 for broker charges and cleaning charges

Then in the year 2008 I constructed a house with 10lakh loan and 7 lakh cash = 17 Lakhs

Then in the year 2011 I had to recontruct the compound wall and painting for 2 lakh

Then in the year 2015 I had to reconstruct water tank and complete painting and repair work for 240000

Now in the year 2016 (sep), we have got a buyer for 5580000 Rs.

can you please help me in computing the CGT due from me? Are there any means to reduce the tax liability?

My mother is a senior citizen

Now, after the Capital Gain is computed, is it sufficient that she invests only that capital gain in a buying another house?

Can she buy the new property as a co-owner along with me?

Regards

Vinu

Learning

4 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     21 September 2016

II'd compute but  I charge Rs.700 fo r Income tax  computation. ?Recently two persons one from Bomvbsy annd another from /gujrat got their capital gain tax  calculated by me and did prudent investments out of saved capitl gains. I charged  Rs. 700 from eaxh of the,m. I'm an income tax Expert.

You take th eoriginal c cost of purchase o fland and building nd multiply itby indexed cost ofsale price in  th eparticualr yuear  in which you sols/indexed cost of purchase price in 22001. This indexed cost is based on cost inflation index of the of th eparticualt year. c9ost of cquisition  you  will gewt out o fthi  formula.  indexed cost can be got by seeing cost inflation index of th eparticular yuear. Now  you got an offer of sale for  Rs.55,80,000. so as per ou r calculation cost is  3100000Xindexed cost in slae pricefor the year 2016/indexed cost of purchase price fo rth eyear 2001 Please refer indexd cost based on cosrt of infatrion index in th eyear 2016 and also indexed cost of purchase price for th eyear 2001 seeing th etables. From cost price of th ehouse you deduct all expensessuch as  Registration charges, brolkerage, painting water tank repair etc and arrive at correct cost of acquisition and  then multiply by indexedcost of slae price for th e year 2016/indeed cost o fpurchase price  in 2001. Long /term Capital Gain=Total Sale consideration  in the year  2016=55,80000-cost of acquisition as above.Th e capital gain so arrived you can invest in section 54, 54 EC, 34 /F etc fo rbuying another house fo rself occupation or investing in National  Higfhway Authorities bonds o rRural electicity Bonds  or invest in  capital gain account schme of any Public sector Bank. If th ecapital gain is more thn the purchase price of th ehouse , th ebalance capitla gain will be charged to  long termcapital gain tax at  20%.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     29 September 2016

If you appreciate the above answer please click the thank you button onthis forum/

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     05 October 2016

OK! I don't want your fee. I've given you hints at computation of long term  capital gains tax and how to save it. At least courtesy sake  you click the thank you button on this forum.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     05 October 2016

Dear Mr.Vinu,

YOur brother Anand has already clicked the thank you button on this forum query it sems.Overphonew he confirmed. But it is  not  reflecting in my thanks count records.Immediately respond to this  mystery and  reply to this query of mine. If you've already/your brother Mr. Anand has  a;lready  clicked please tell him to issue a aereply hwer ein thi sforum that already he had clicked Thank you button on this forum. What ahppned to  your query. You promised to send  your query within 1/2 anhour. Please send th e query and get my expert Legal Opinion.Please reply soon and also send email query.

Thanks  and Regards,

Usha Kapoor

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register