Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

DEBASISH.M1 (MBA)     18 May 2011

Can the Creditor demand EMI when matter(SARFAESI) is pending

Summary -:

1. The Non Banking Financial Company(NBFC/HFC) issued a notice under SARFAESI_Clause13(4) with total demand "(LOAN CLOSURE)".
  2. Borrower approched DRT under section 17(1) for interim relief.
  3. DRT ordered "Stay On Possession" while directing the borrower to deposit "fixed amount" with in 30 days against LOAN CLOSURE.
  4. Borrower complied with the Order before 30 days and the matter is pending before DRT.
  5. After 5 to 6 months of the Order Compliance Creditor(NBFC/HFC) is demanding EMI/dues using various means (phone/written/goons/agents).
  6. Also the NBFC deliberately bounced the "Security CHQs" for the above EMI amount and threatening use Sec 138 NI act.

Question -:

1. Can the Creditor (NBFC/HFC) demand EMI/dues from borrower when matter is pending before DRT ?
  2. Can the NBFC deliberately bounce the "Security CHQs" for the above EMI amount without borrower knowledge ?

Learning

7 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   18 May 2011

1.During the pendency of an application u/s 17(1) of the SARFASI Act the bank can not demand EMI from the borrower.Bring the matter notice to the DRT.   2.Cheque bounce is a seperate issue where bank can file a case u/s 138 N.I.Act.

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     20 May 2011

When there is Interim Stay Order issued by DRT against further proceedings under SARFAESI Act, bank can not proceed any further under the said Act.  If the cheque issued by you is bounced, bank gets the right to proceed under Sec.138 of N.I.Act.

Uday (Lawyer)     23 May 2011

Though I agree with the views submitted by my learned friends, I would like to share my views also.

The banks cannot demand the EMIs when the matter is stayed by the DRT and pending before it. Even assuming that the matter is not stayed by DRT, the payment they demand cannot be way of EMIs. Bu way of a  demand notice under section 13(2) the secured creditor recalls the loan and calls upon the borrower to pay the entire loan amount. When the loan is recalled, there is no question of paying back the money by way of EMIs unless the pending dues are paid by the borrower and the account is regularised by the secured creditor. If the secured creditor has not regularised your account, then what ever amount the amount paid by the borrower subsequent to the demand notice has to be adjusted towards the total outstanding.

I request Mr.Raju to share his views on this.

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     23 May 2011

Although the proceedings under SARFAESI Act was Stayed by DRT, if the bank is having post-dated cheques of the borrower and if he presented those cheques, that will not be considered as proceeding under the SARFAESI Act and hence not in violation of the DRT Order.  Such methods are adopted by banks, to threaten the borrower, of criminal proceedings under Sec.138 of the NI Act.  Normally all banks, keep pending all proceedings once Stay Order is granted by DRT /DRAT, till such Stay was vacated.

Uday (Lawyer)     24 May 2011

Dear Mr.Raju,

I agree that the proceedings of the Negotiable instruments are totally different from that of the SARFAESI Proceedings. I've been watching your answers in the forum for quite some time. To my knowledge you have not misled any people and never given any irrelevant answer. Since I thought of having a debate with you regarding the answer given by me earlier, I invited you to share your views on my reply given above.

RAJU O.F., (Advocate)     24 May 2011

Dear Mr.Uday,

Thank you for your kind words. For 32 years I was working in bank, then resigned being fed up and later for the last 8 years, I am a practicing lawyer, mainly handling DRT and DRAT cases.  I am happy to share my views, based on my experiences, if it is useful to the needy.

Uday (Lawyer)     27 May 2011

I invite Mr.Radhakrishnan from Chennai to participate in this topic and give his views.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register