LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

antiikin   23 April 2015

Can police help us to get married?

I love a girl who also loves me and wants to marry me. I'm 30 years old and girl is 21.she is my fathers sisters daughter daughter. we are hindu and falls under sapinda relation therefore our parents are against our marriage .we belong to schedule tribe. Girl had given me a letter to get help from the police. So can the police help us getting married ?

Learning

6 Replies

antiikin   23 April 2015

I also have a call recorded where the girl says she will kill herself if forced to marry someone else.

shweta   23 April 2015

I love a girl who also loves me and wants to marry me.?? You only love her ?? Don't you want to marry her ?? :D

A woman can seek the help of the police to help her stop her marriage if she is being forced to marry against her will. However, given the level of mistrust that prevails in our society vis-à-vis the police, such an intervention can boomerang on the woman and may lead to more trouble.

But yes the police can help to get you married because you are both Adults .However, in case of life threat for you or your girl, then you can go to the police station and explain them the situation.

In this case also, first police will call both parents and try to find an amicable solution. If that does not work and if you both are Major (in legal marital age), then police can help you get married under their witness. But again for that you will have to go check with the local Police station if they have a Police Pandit ?  who is a Diary guy to all such Chowki Marriages .

,Later the Police diary guy send the Marriage recipt to Marriage Registrar and  to get the same registered   .  Marriage registrar send the Marriage certificate copy  to your address that is registered with Police station at the time of marriage   !

N R Dash.. (Advocate)     23 April 2015

What a silly question???? You already know that it wont be a valid marriage but still you want to??? 

Police wont help you in getting married. It's duty is to enforce law & order not to fulfill unlawful demands of the people.

antiikin   23 April 2015

Does the hindu marriage law applies to scheduled tribes in india?

Abhishek (Cheif Attorney)     23 April 2015

It applies to every hindu

antiikin   23 April 2015

I'd read the hindu marriage act..but what does this means..it says need help Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1),nothing contained in this Act shall apply to the members of any Scheduled Tribe within the meaning of clause (25) of Article 366 of the Constitution unless the Central Government, by notification in the Official Gazette, otherwise directs.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register