Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Troy (engineer)     04 November 2013

Can i gift property to my daughter after buying within 2 yrs

Hi,

I sold a property recently and bought another property within 1 year to cover for capital gains. Can I immidiatly gift it to my daughter? Is there a hold period?

Will it attract capital gains again?

Thanks for the response.

Troy

Learning

9 Replies

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     04 November 2013

Your Query: I sold a property recently and bought another property within 1 year to cover for capital gains. Can I immidiatly gift it to my daughter? Is there a hold period?

Will it attract capital gains again?

Reply: Yes, there is a no-transfer period of 3 years from the date of purchase of the new property as provided in Section 54F(3) of the Income tax Act 1961. If the new property is transferred within that period, the amount of Capital Gains (which had arisen from the earlier sale) will be deemed to be the income  (from Capital Gains) of the  year in which such new property is transerred. 

sunil rajpal (FCA prop)     04 November 2013

Yes, You can Gift the property through a registered gift deed and it will not attract Capital Gain as Gift is out of the ambit of transfer.

BAALASUBRAMANNYAMM (Advocate)     04 November 2013

You have already crossed the "imposition of Capital Gains", as you have already purchased another property within one year from the consideration amount of e already sold property. 

Troy (engineer)     04 November 2013

If I understood Mr Rajagopalan suggestion. If I transfer my new property to my daughter within 3 years of my previous property sale, I am to pay capital gains. While Mr Baala is suggesting that I do not need to pay?

To explain again my example.

I sold Property ONE Jan 1st 2012 and bought Property TWO Jan 1st 2013 to satisfy Property ONE sale capital gains requirements.

But if I GIFT transfer Property TWO to my daughter Jan 1st 2014 will it incur capital gains from Property ONE

sunil rajpal (FCA prop)     04 November 2013

Dear my answer to the query remains same. There is no liability of Capital gain. If you want i can elobrate on the present situation, my submission is the same.  In the present case there is no liability on account of CAPITAL GAIN.

C. P. CHUGH (Practicing Lawyer)     07 November 2013

Dear,

Your query is incomplete with regards to the facts whether original capital gain was on account of sale of residential property chargeable u/s 54 or from any other long term asset chargeable u/s 54F.

In the later case, if you transfer your new asset within a period of three years, you are liable for withdrawl of exemption already allowed to you.

sunil rajpal (FCA prop)     07 November 2013

GIFTING PROPERTY IS COVERED BY SEC 47(iii) of Indian Income Tax

Troy (engineer)     29 November 2013

Per some research, there seem to be some issue with transfer of the new acquired property within 3 years of purchase. 

https://finanace.indiamart.com/taxation/income_tax/tax_income_capitalgains.html

Read: statement that says: "What are the consequences if a new house is transferred within 3 years? "

But there is another issue. gifting or inheritence is not considered as "transfer" per capital gains.

I am confused. Can I gift the newly acquired property using funds from previous property sale within the year after new purchase.

Thanks a lot for all the responses and help

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     30 November 2013

The issue is whether , for the purposes of Section 54F (3) 'transfer' includes 'gift'.

There is no room for any confusion.

'Gift' is a 'transfer' under the Transfer of Property Act, and as per Section 2 (47)(ii) of the Income Tax Act 1961-" (ii) the extinguishment of any rights therein"; 'Capital Gains' are not attracted in cases of gifts , only because of the specific exclusion in S.47(iii).

To be brief, FOR THE PURPOSES OF SECTION 54F(3), transfer includes 'gift' also.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register