LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dr.B.V.Vijay (Professor)     14 October 2019

Can i file for defamation?

I am a senior professor with a UGC registered private university in Bangalore. Some months back I had submitted a proposal for a research grant to a Govt. of India scientific organization, in response to their public call. Now a few days back, some scientist from the organization wrote to me saying the proposal was 'poorly written' and some so- called expert committee had not found anything worthwhile in it. On the contrary, I fully stand by the worth of my proposal that has been jointly authored by me and two other distinguished faculty in associate sister institutions. The scientist's response is I believe, arrogant and contemptuous, with a sinister intent to prevent the grant from being awarded to us, being a private university. While it is not quickly possible to establish the malefic intent, I wish to file a defamation case against the scientist for his contemptuous unjustifiable remarks that I can nevertheless defend against. Would be grateful to have expert legal opinion on this.

Learning

3 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     14 October 2019

But sir how come ther is defamation or insult...Instead make representations and submit to Governor if you have any complaints

Dr.B.V.Vijay (Professor)     14 October 2019

Well, thanks for your response, Yes, of course, it is defamation/ slander when someone makes unjustified remarks about another. Somewhat like 'offense is the best form of defense', to put it. 

I don't see why our state's Governor has to look into this, however. 

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     14 October 2019

Hon'ble Governor is ex-officio Chancellor of the State Universities;

If you really feel that your reputation is harmed and the remarks are to casue harm to you then you can file complaint under SECTION 499 IPC

However it is advisble to issue a legal notice first and claim heavvy damages. Then you have to prove that the remorks were to cause damage to your reputation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register