LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Can a law student represent the client

In a consumer case, for non reimbursement of a medi claim amount by insurance company,
my friend has decided to proceed in consumer forum following my advice

The claim is for my friend's mother and the amount is of Rs 10000

My friend is not in a position to hire the services of an advocate

I being a law student and an article in a law firm, want to represent the mother of my friend in consumer court..... As i will work pro bono

Can i do so?
If yes, what are the relevant provisions for the same, as there are chances that the opposite party may submit that i am not a lawyer.

Thanks in advance..

Learning

12 Replies

(Guest)
In fact there is no requirement of Advocate as per COPA , 1986. Party in person can represent.And you are not an Advocate or Complainant.hence I don think u can do brro bo no .
1 Like

(Guest)
In fact there is no requirement of Advocate as per COPA , 1986. Party in person can represent.And you are not an Advocate or Complainant.hence I don think u can do brro bo no .
1 Like

Rahul kandharkar (Freelance Editor Legal Consultant Author.)     18 May 2018

A party in perosn is also sufficient to represent the case, u can also go and present it on his behlf.

1 Like

TGK REDDI   18 May 2018

You, for that matter any person, can.       Under the provision of Section 2(b) of The Consumer Protection Rules, 1987.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 May 2018

Thereafter;

Consumer Protection Regulations, 2005;16

https://ncdrc.nic.in/regulations2005.html

‘Consumer Protection (Procedure for regulation of allowing appearance of Agents or representatives or Non-Advocates or Voluntary Organisations before the Consumer Forum), Regulations, 2014;2

https://ncdrc.nic.in/bare_acts/Consumer%20Protection%20Regulation.pdf

You should get all answers.

For the skae of the affected party that is trusting you and for your own sake take help and guidance  of a very able senior LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in consumer matters and having successful track record ….. and well versed with LOCAL precedences etc and worth his/her salt …

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 May 2018

Observe and conduct as  posted rules!

Avoid offending Presiding Officer.

Wish you the best.  

2 Like

(Guest)
Thank you all the experts KUMAR DOAB SIR, BALACHANDER REDDY SIR, RAHUL KANDHARKAR SIR

(Guest)
Thank you TGK REDDI SIR
1 Like

(Guest)
Is prior permission of forum required??

TGK REDDI   19 May 2018

No, unlike a civil court.

In civil law, a person other than an advocate who assists a plaintiff or a defendant is known as recognised agent.

Consumer Forum simply calls them as agent.

1 Like

(Guest)
Thank you TGK REDDI SIR

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register