LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ABC (IT Project Manager)     26 December 2019

Bank locker has my ex-wife included.

Hi, I had rented a locker with a public sector bank after my marriage and included her name so that she could also operate if required. However, we have divorced with mutual consent and therefore wanted to check their would be any issue regarding this locker. Please let me know.

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     26 December 2019

Submit your divorce order to the bank to delete her name in the lockers registry. 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     27 December 2019

Even without such orders, any joint holder can demand for closure of the locker account standing in joint names.  You may take another locker.  But maintaining a key is important.  Settle the issue amicably without involving the bank and do not expose yourself to the public.  First, issue a notice to the Bank for stopping operations and then establish contact with your wife, and you can vacate the locker and take back belongings in the locker as per your rights.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 December 2019

You may write to the bank about your decision to close the bank locker operated jointly with your spouse for the reasons that you both are divorced hence it will not be possible for you to operate the locker account jointly anymore.

You can even attach a copy of the divorce decree to convince the bank about this and wait for their response.

If the bank is not acting in your favor to close the account, you may plan to initiate steps for legal action as envisaged in law for this purpose.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register