LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aks   09 May 2017

Axis bank wants original fd receipts.

Axis Bank is demanding Original FD receipts to transfer FD proceeds to me. My relatives refused to give me Original Fd receipts but I gave the bank copies.  Axis bank is still asking Original receipts . What are my options to get my funds ?

Learning

38 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     09 May 2017

Bank will definitely ask for the orginial in order to transfer the funds to your account.  The would definitely like to prevent any fraud and comply with the entire procedure.

If the originals are with your relatives then ask from them and in case someone is concealing the documents then lodge a criminal complaint with police and get the recovery done.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     09 May 2017

a fixed deposit receipt as an acknowledgment. This is an important document and should be kept safely until it will be cashed. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 May 2017

The FDR's are in your name or in name of relatives!

Aks   10 May 2017

I am the registered nominee of my deceased mother. She was the person whose name the FDs are .

I don't want to go far as to file a criminal complaint against relatives as I don't know who has original FD receipts.

Axis Bank has my other personal accounts and there is no issue as ascertaining my identity. They know me.

They acknowledge that I am registered nominee and  received copies of Fd receipts.  

Is there any other way  other than filing a criminal complaint ?

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     10 May 2017

Sir, You may request the Bank for the details of the FDR then approach the Hon. Court for a succession certificate. This will enable you to encash the FDR. Good luck, Kishor Mehta

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     10 May 2017

Just seek duplicate receipts of fixed deposits stating that you are nominee and could not find originals, enclose death certificate of depositor, claim form and legal heir certificate obtained from Tehasildar.   The bank must discharge their obligations maximum within a week, failing which you can issue a notice to Bank under CP Act for settling the claim in your favour.

Now, no private banks are giving fixed deposit receipts, and the so called receipt is just an acknowledgment.   

Kumar Doab (FIN)     10 May 2017

Lost FDR of deceased parent:

Prespectives:

Request the bank for inspection of records.

Lodge police complaint, release advt in newpapers.

Submit Indemnity Bond, surities, Bank guarantee to Bank’s satisfaction.

Meet Circle Head/Regional Head of Bank, Code Compliance officer, Internal Ombudsman.

Approach CEPD-RBI, Mumbai.

You are sure to get help,guidance, relief..

Lost FDR of deceased parent:

Prespectives:

Request the bank for inspection of records.

Lodge police complaint, release advt in newpapers.

Submit Indemnity Bond, surities, Bank guarantee to Bank’s satisfaction.

Meet Circle Head/Regional Head of Bank, Code Compliance officer, Internal Ombudsman.

Approach CEPD-RBI, Mumbai.

You are sure to get help and guidance..

Prespective:

IN case of deceased depositor a/c with nomination:

Succession certificate is not required or warrented in case of ‘Deceased Depositor ‘a/c with valid nomination.

Such demand shall be superfluous and unwarranted and shall meet with serious supervisory disapproval.

RBI guidelines that have statutory force are clear on it.

Go thru: RBI: Master Circular on Customer Service in Banks: 20.

20.1 Accounts with survivor/nominee clause

20.1.2 It may be noted that since payment made to the survivor(s) / nominee, subject to the foregoing conditions, would constitute a full discharge of the bank's liability, insistence on production of legal representation is superfluous and unwarranted and only serves to cause entirely avoidable inconvenience to the survivor(s) / nominee and would, therefore, invite serious supervisory disapproval. In such case, therefore, while making payment to the survivor(s) / nominee of the deceased depositor, the banks should desist from insisting on production of succession certificate, letter of administration or probate, etc., or obtain any bond of indemnity or surety from the survivor(s)/nominee, irrespective of the amount standing to the credit of the deceased account holder.

https://www.rbi.org.in/Scripts/BS_ViewMasCirculardetails.aspx?id=9862#201

Aks   10 May 2017

Thank you. Ths is very helpful.

Who are these relatives?

Your father, bothers, sisters?

It is felt that they have not a obtained a stay from court or even lodged objection (Aitraaj) with Bank.

You are welcome.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     10 May 2017

If you are among one in several legal heirs, please do remember that a claimant is not the sole owner of the entire deposit, but is only a trustee to all other legal heirs, and if any testament or other document is present.  That prevails.

In a joint family, where there are sons and daughers, the fixed deposit receipts preserved by the depositor suddenly disappears, and if that depositor is aware, he  might have certainly alerted the nominee of the deposit.  Those who are aware of such nomination might have played a trick.   Now, the legal heirs may even bring legal action against the Bank and even alerted the Bank already.

This is just a feud among family members, and now no private bank is giving original fixed deposit receipts and the said receipt is just acknowledgment and not on security paper as was given previously.

So member may decide on the facts and take up for issue of the duplicate acknowledgment.

If the banker refuses to part with information a notice may be issued to that Bank under CP Act demanding for confirmation as to whether the receipt was given as acknowledgment or original fixed deposit receipt was given on  security paper.   Duplicate receipt is being issued only as a matter of accounting only, to show a debit in the account and to record loss/misplacement of said deposit. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register