Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil (Legal )     01 March 2014

Arbitration

Dear Member,

Request your views on the following facts:

In the contract there is Arbitration clause wherein it is mentioned that a single Arbitrator shall be appointed by both the parties and the place for Arbitration shall be Mumbai City.

background:

1. Since the Second party fails to pay the payment as per the contract the first party who has branch office at Bangalore sent a Notice.

2. Since there is no response to the first notice Arb. Notice nominating Arbitrator name has also been sent.

3. there is no response to both Notices by the Second party.

4. the Second party has place of business in Bangalore and as per the contract the materials have also been supplied to his business place i.e., Bangalore.

On the above background, let me know whether a petition under section 9 or 11 of Arbitration Act can be filed before the Hon'ble High Court of Karnataka.

Regards,

Sunil 

Learning

1 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     02 March 2014

In my opinion you can file petition u/s 9 before District Judge at Banglore and can also file petition u/s 11 of Arb Act before Karnataka High Court as in Arb agreement it is  mentioned that  " Arbitrator shall be appointed by both the parties and the place for Arbitration shall be Mumbai City." but not mentioned that Jurisdiction to try the dispute/matter shall be at Mumbai only,alone and exclusively.So as per sec 20 of cpc suit/case can be decided at place where partly or wholly cause of action arise . in your case cause of action arised at Banglore so you can move.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register