LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manoj Nair (Founder)     28 April 2008

All about Road tax ? Taxing or Axeing

I wonder, why any Indian who get transfered from one state to another state has to pay road tax and vehicle tax which is already been collected once. If its a policy of taxing of that particular state govt for its exchquer. Is there not a better way of collecting tax. In this particular scenairo,  i am not moving to another country but to another state of  my own country. Isnt it time to amend such taxing laws.
Jai hind !

Learning

2 Replies

P.V.Poornima (Lawyer)     28 April 2008

India has a well-developed tax structure with clearly demarcated authority between Central and State Governments and local bodies. Central Government levies taxes on income (except tax on agricultural income, which the State Governments can levy), customs duties, central excise and service tax.

Value Added Tax (VAT), (Sales tax in States where VAT is not yet in force), stamp duty, State Excise, land revenue and tax on professions are levied by the State Governments. Local bodies are empowered to levy tax on properties, octroi and for utilities like water supply, drainage etc.

In last 10-15 years, Indian taxation system has undergone tremendous reforms. The tax rates have been rationalized and tax laws have been simplified resulting in better compliance, ease of tax payment and better enforcement. The process of rationalization of tax administration is ongoing in India.

Since April 01, 2005, most of the State Governments in India have replaced sales tax with VAT.

Rajendran Nallusamy (Advocate)     29 April 2008

How can you expect the States to run without income generated. The States cannot expect the Centre for all developments.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register