LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dimitri (Owner)     23 November 2011

Airgun confiscated by chennai customs

I was importing an airrifle from US via USPS and it was been cosficated by customs and they have sent me a cinfication order: I am pumlishing it in the below.

Can you suggest what to be done next and if you can refer and legal professional in chennai?

FINDINDS

I have carefully gone through the records of the case and the written submissions
made by the notice.

It is observed that Shri Dimitri Martin had imported 1 No. Gamo Air Rifle vide Post
Parcel No. 12345. The subject goods are prohibited in terms of Exim Policy and in
terms of Para 3(i)(g) of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules
in Certain Cases) Order, 1993. GSR 991 prescribes a soft wood test to determine
whether individual should obtain a possession license from the jurisdictional police commissioner or not. The Air Rifle of 0.177 bore qualifies in the soft wood test, hence
does not require a possession license.

However, if the air rifle of 0.177 bore is imported through cargo mode by renowned shooters/shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/national Rifles Association,
they do not need to submit an import license from DGFT for the import of the same.
Since Shri Dimitri Martin is a life member of Madurai Rifle Club he does not require
to produce a license to the Customs authorities. But, this does not exempt the air rifle
of 0.177 bore from the purview of the Arms Act., 1959.

The Forensic Sciences Department’s letter No.Ball./3371512011 dated 1210412011 for the reference made by the Customs authorities also opines that import of arms and ammunition
is unlawful through postal mode. Therefore, I hold that the subject import goods had
violated the provisions of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules in Certain Cases) Order, 1993 read with Arms Act, 1959 and thus. the goods are liable for confiscation under Section 111(d) of the Customs Act. 1962.

However, considering the fact that the importer being a member of The Madurai Rifle Club which makes him eligible to import the air rifle other than the postal mode.  I refrain from imposing any penalty.

In view of the above, I pass the following order

ORDER
I order absolute confiscation of 1 No. Gamo Air Rifle valued at Rs.51,499 under Section 111(d) of the Customs Act,1962

sig.

ASST. commissioner customs. (PAD-AIR) 

Learning

14 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     23 November 2011

If you followed this https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3481 you should not be facing problems.

GSR 991 prescribes a soft wood test to determine whether individual should obtain a possession license from the jurisdictional police commissioner or not. The Air Rifle of 0.177 bore qualifies in the soft wood test, hence does not require a possession license.

These days the government babus do not know what they are talking about. There is nothing called soft wood test as claimed by him, instead it is deal wood test. Any air gun/rifle/pistol which passes the deal wood test is exempt from all provisions of Arms Act 1959. Make him read the famous Central Government notification No. G.S.R 991 dated 13-7-1962 where it had excluded airguns, air rifles, air pistols which pass the deal wood test mentioned in Column (1) of Schedule II from all provisions of the Act. A copy of this notification can be read at https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2335#p50363

The subject goods are prohibited in terms of Exim Policy and in terms of Para 3(i)(g) of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules in Certain Cases) Order....................However, if the air rifle of 0.177 bore is imported through cargo mode by renowned shooters/shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/national Rifles Association, they do not need to submit an import license from DGFT for the import of the same.

It is not "renowned" shooters but shooters registered with  Rifle Clubs or District/State/ National Rifles Association. Making him read this https://dgftcom.nic.in/exim/2000/not/not05%5Cnot1205.htm

Write a proper letter to him with copies of both these notifications and get an acknowledgemt of the same. I think your problem should get solved if you pursue the matter intelligently.

In Second para, they have confirmed, that the gun doesnot require any licence as it is not coming underd the perview of airms act.

In para 3, they are confirming this also that I am eligable to import airgun.

They are holding my gun by saying that FIREARM CAN NOT BE IMPORTED VIA POST where everywhere they are confirming that the gun I am importing is not a firearm.:)

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 November 2011

The main thrust of this confiscation order is that the import was illegal because of being through postal mode.  You see the root of problem.

Democratic Indian (n/a)     23 November 2011

Probably they are trying to create confusion so that agreived party falls to their feet and bribe them. How can the Forensic Sciences Department’s letter to Customs for the reference made by the Customs have any force of law. It can be ignored for time being. Customs can act only if there is violation of law.

The main point to note is his following two contentions claiming that the two laws(Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules in Certain Cases) Order 1993 and Arms Act 1959) have been violated:

I hold that the subject import goods had violated the provisions of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules in Certain Cases) Order, 1993 read with Arms Act, 1959 and thus. the goods are liable for confiscation under Section 111(d) of the Customs Act. 1962.......................I order absolute confiscation of 1 No. Gamo Air Rifle valued at 51,499 under Section 111(d) of the Customs Act,1962

For the first contention he should be made to read this notification https://dgftcom.nic.in/exim/2000/not/not05%5Cnot1205.htm For his second contention he should be made to read the Central Government notification No. G.S.R 991 dated 13-7-1962 where it had excluded airguns, air rifles, air pistols which pass the deal wood test mentioned in Column (1) of Schedule II from all provisions of the Act.  After reading these two notifications there is no violation of these two laws as claimed by him.

There statement is very self-contradictory.  In this scenario, what is the next step to follow?

Should I go ahead with the appeal to their higher authority with Rs.5 court fees etc? OR should I consult a legal professional so that this should be an example for them for not doing such noise in future?

If I have to consult a legal professional, will that be a civil lawyer?? Some reference would be appreciate.

Democratic Indian (n/a)     24 November 2011

There statement is very self-contradictory.

Don't fall into his trap of contradictions and irrelevant noise. Ignore them and concentrate on the two violations of law he has written and the answers I have provided.

In this scenario, what is the next step to follow?

You may meet him personally and appraise him of the two notifications. If he agrees your job is done and you will take your air rifle with you. Or write a letter to him appraising of the two notifications and get an acknowledgement of the same and see what is his reply.

Should I go ahead with the appeal to their higher authority with Rs.5 court fees etc?

You may.

OR should I consult a legal professional so that this should be an example for them for not doing such noise in future?

You may.

If I have to consult a legal professional, will that be a civil lawyer??

Yes a civil lawyer. If he is familier in dealing with customs matters it will be even better.

Some reference would be appreciate.

Unfortunately I do not have any. You will have to find yourself. May search this website.

LAWYER ADVOCATE (Prop)     11 December 2011

THAPAR & ASSOCAITES LAW FIRM (CUSTOMS LAWYERS)

You may require us as your CUTSOMS  Lawyer for any representation of a Case anywhere in India.

1.  For Cheque Bounce Case
  2. For any Payment recovery through legal way.
  3. For filing a litigation (case) against your Indian / Overseas Buyer or Seller.
  4. Verification of your Indian Buyer or Seller.
  5. Third Party Inspection
  6. For Issuing Legal Notice for Substandard Goods/ delayed payment/ Non Delivery of Goods to Indian/Overseas Buyer.
  7. For Reply to Show Cause Notice  
  8. Appeals to recover goods seized by the Department
  9. Appeals for Recovery of seized assets, including cash
  10. For any Customs (Import Export) Related matter. 
  11.  Representation of any Case anywhere in any court in India. 

We are THAPAR & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM an internationally recognized law firm concentrating in Customs (Import Export) Law with more than 40 years of service to the trade community. Many of our professionals have extensive prior government experience.

In addition, THAPAR & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM handles legal matters involving any kind of Customs (Import Export) Issues on behalf of its clients any where in India.

"We at THAPAR & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM guarantee that when we handle any case.
Our Client's get favourable and satisfying results"

Our experience, industry knowledge, and government service make THAPAR & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM uniquely qualified to help our clients manage the complexities of the rapidly changing global economy and the legislative and judicial decisions affecting their business. If you have any legal matter or query please feel free to mail us.

Thanking you,Yours truly
Advocate Mukta Thapar

THAPAR & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM
Email:- muktaone@ymail.com
Mobile:- + 91 96191 76351

https://customslawyers.webs.com/
Advocates, Solicitors, Notaries, Patent & Trademark Attorneys
111- A, A- wing,Pratik Industrial Estate, Mulund Goregoan Link Road, Near to Mulund Port
Bhandup west, Mumbai- 400078, MAHARASHTRA. India

dimitri (Owner)     09 April 2012

An appeal has been made and the commissioner -appeal given a release order where it says, within 3 months any of the party can further re-appeal. Two month passed we haven't heared that customes are chalanging this order nor they released our goods.

My question is what would be the next step if they are not honering the release order after 3 months?

Best Regards,

Dimitri

dimitri (Owner)     18 April 2012

I am eager to have some experts comments on this issue. Please help.

An appeal has been made and the commissioner -appeal given a release order where it says, within 3 months any of the party can further re-appeal. Two month passed we haven't heared that customes are chalanging this order nor they released our goods. My question is what would be the next step if they are not honering the release order after 3 months? Best Regards, Dimitri

dimitri (Owner)     24 April 2012

Bump!

Democratic Indian (n/a)     25 April 2012

Release order has been made. Where is the problem now?

dimitri (Owner)     25 April 2012

Release order made by commissioner -Appeal but "customs foreign post" they are not executing the release order.  As mentioned previously, "customs foreign post" has 3 months to execute the order otherwise if they don't agree with the order they are free to further appeal within 3 months period. 

My question remains same. "Customs foreign post" not honoring the order once the 3 months’ time period is over, what could be the next step?

Democratic Indian (n/a)     26 April 2012

It is difficult to predict the next step without knowing the contents of order and appeal in response to it by "customs foreign post".

Jenny Smith   05 July 2023

Originally posted by : dimitri

I was importing an airrifle from US via USPS and it was been cosficated by customs and they have sent me a cinfication order: I am pumlishing it in the below.

Can you suggest what to be done next and if you can refer and legal professional in chennai?

FINDINDS

I have carefully gone through the records of the case through import export data and the written submissions

made by the notice.

It is observed that Shri Dimitri Martin had imported 1 No. Gamo Air Rifle vide Post

Parcel No. 12345. The subject goods are prohibited in terms of Exim Policy and in

terms of Para 3(i)(g) of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules

in Certain Cases) Order, 1993. GSR 991 prescribes a soft wood test to determine

whether individual should obtain a possession license from the jurisdictional police commissioner or not. The Air Rifle of 0.177 bore qualifies in the soft wood test, hence

does not require a possession license.

However, if the air rifle of 0.177 bore is imported through cargo mode by renowned shooters/shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/national Rifles Association,

they do not need to submit an import license from DGFT for the import of the same.

Since Shri Dimitri Martin is a life member of Madurai Rifle Club he does not require

to produce a license to the Customs authorities. But, this does not exempt the air rifle

of 0.177 bore from the purview of the Arms Act., 1959.

The Forensic Sciences Department’s letter No.Ball./3371512011 dated 1210412011 for the reference made by the Customs authorities also opines that import of arms and ammunition

is unlawful through postal mode. Therefore, I hold that the subject import goods had

violated the provisions of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from Application of Rules in Certain Cases) Order, 1993 read with Arms Act, 1959 and thus. the goods are liable for confiscation under Section 111(d) of the Customs Act. 1962.

However, considering the fact that the importer being a member of The Madurai Rifle Club which makes him eligible to import the air rifle other than the postal mode.  I refrain from imposing any penalty.

In view of the above, I pass the following order

ORDER

I order absolute confiscation of 1 No. Gamo Air Rifle valued at Rs.51,499 under Section 111(d) of the Customs Act,1962

sig.

ASST. commissioner customs. (PAD-AIR) 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register