Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Apul (Engineer)     17 January 2011

Adoptio by US citizens(+OCI) settled in India (2.5+ yrs)

Hi,

We are US citizens with OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) and have permanently moved back to India over 2.5 years back. We are looking to adopt an Indian child. Although we are going through the inter-country adoption process approved by CARA, it is taking a long time and given that we live in India, some of the rules are a bit unclear when we talk to RIPA etc.

While we continue to do that, I was also told that we could adopt from a local adoption agency (assuming they are fine with it) under HAMA law by informing US consulate and after two years, the child can get a legal documents (passport) from US consulate. In the interim 2 years, the child will not have any passport. 

Has anyone done this? Is there anything missing here? FWIW, we don't intend to go back to US and had taken up the citizenship as a mere convenience to travel around and also because dual citizenship was being promised in the near future. 

If this question has already been answered, do point it to me as I couldn't find anything similar in my search of the forum posts.

Thanks a lot,

Apul

Learning

2 Replies

Mrs Preetha Ramasubramanian (Psychotherapist)     19 April 2011

Hi Apul,

I came across your post and was eager to know about the progress you have made with adoption. I am writing to you because we are in a similar status, UK citizen with OCI and migrated to Chennai, India few months before. We are now looking to understand the process or procedure to start the adoption process and have just started to get in touch with adoption agency listed in CARA. We are struggling to get useful information w.r.t adoption and oci. It will be great if you can give us information and valuable advice w.r.t adoption and oci. My email address is preethar@gmail.com. thanks a lot in advance.

regards

preetha

jabs (law)     14 July 2011

HI,

Are you still looking for a private adoption. If yes email me at jabeenmohd@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register