LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KL EP   06 December 2017

Adjustment of payments against principle and interest

Dear Sir, I need to understand your views for a co-operative society based in Mumbai, India. Under the Maharashtra co-op society laws under by laws no 72 its states that society is required to charge simple interest on the dues from the day it was defaulted to the day payments were made.

However it is not clear when such payments are made in partial amounts how to split the payment towards principle and interest component. I have asked some CA's and Lawyers and have got mixed response.

so my query is as below, In an event of partial payments towards society dues comprising of principle and interest. will the partial payment be adjusted towards interest first and then balance left any from the payment is adjusted towards the principle or the reverse i.e. partial payment made are first adjusted against interest and balance left if any are adjusted towards interest. so for example if the combined dues payable is 1 lakh and member pays 40 thousand one shot payment , how to adjust against the dues of 1 lakh between principle and interest, in the next cycle member continues to make small payments like 1000, 2000 sporadically.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register