Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     26 June 2008

''In favour of dowry or against the dowry".

Hi friends,
        Please add your valuable views on this topic what you feel and Where u stand "In favour of dowry or against the dowry".

Learning

5 Replies

Kalpana.S (-)     26 June 2008

Certainly against dowrt. But specify clearly as to whether your query is regarding misuse of dwory pohibition laws or one regarding receiving dowry at the time of marriage

arunprakaash.m. (advocate)     26 June 2008

burden of proof in dowry cases are very difficult.

Guest (n/a)     09 July 2008

DOWRY is nothing but its the name of greedy nature or lust of having more of a person.whatever gifts &istridha and other articles a spouse got at the time of marriage,becomes dowry when the relations between both partners become sour.and if a person agreed for marriage after negiotations of money matters or consideration other than cash it automatically becomes dowry.

shamit sanyal (advocate)     01 August 2008

the question in my openion is stale , at least for those who sit and use nets and call us advanced.

painful but true people from higher strata do also say no but in reality accept such system.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     02 August 2008

Dear shree, kalpana, arun and shamit,

Shree's subject is good for a discussion. I have posted an article about "MISUSE OF DOWRY LAWS"  Please go through it .

Here the question of shree is are you "In favour of dowry or against the dowry".  Defenitly i am against the system or custom of dowry.

Here in Kerala Hindus in North and Central Kerala are not interested in this. I am from central Kerala. We have no custom of dowry. We never give our daughetr to a dowry seeker/monker. Gifts are allowed. some may give a car or a flat or pocket money to bride groom according to their financial status. But all will give some for an insuarance to her future.  If that be so an insurance to our child in another enviornment is accepatable and a healtthy practice. To that extend only I am agreeing so called streedhan.  The amount always go to the bride only in her account. To that extent there is nothing wrong init shree. But if any body asks  for dowry for marrying a girl he may be looking at the wealth. Wealth here is not a criteria. Education we prefer. But this custom in Hindus at Southern part of kerala is just contradictory. they settle every thing on the same stage while the marriage is going on. But still burning deaths are not reported from that side. Dowry deaths is increasingly seen in northern states. I saw several burned dead brides while i studied at Nagpur for law. most of the cases are related to less educated class. Do you all agree one thing education is the best solution to reduce the dowry in its worst form. Can we stop bride burning by S.498 A. NO. It was misused by wife and her relatives for extracing money in some cases. How ever it is a vast majorities case that S.498 is misusing elaboratly for no satisfactory reasons. Righly said "LEGAL TERRORISM"   

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register