25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25

meher & compromise money

(Querist) 29 January 2011 This query is : Resolved 
My wife filled 498a & 406.(bail granted)In mediation she demanded 20,00,000 for settlement. But at the time of marriage her father ask for meher of rs. 50,000. only( nikahnama proof). Then why did she ask for rs.20,00,000 ?

Can I file a case of blackmailing ?
adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (Expert) 29 January 2011
You cannot file any case of blackmailing. It is not blackmailing it may for one time settlement. You can protest it.
Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 29 January 2011
It is not necessary for you to admit her exaggerated claim if you are not agree and even none can be stopped to claim huge amount. It is the mutual acceptance of both parties which matters. Demand of more amount than Mehar is not an offense.
Kirti Kar Tripathi (Expert) 29 January 2011
I agree with experts. One may ask any amount for settlement to which you can refuse but you are bound to pay Mahar. It is not blackmailing.

Expert of the Month