LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Charging of higher per unit charge for electricity in hostel

(Querist) 04 November 2017 This query is : Resolved 

I'm staying at a hostel in Nungambakkam,Chennai .
And they are charging 12/unit for electricity consumption, when the applicable per unit charge for hostel is only 6.35/unit.
So as per the Electricity Act or any other rules can you please tell me if they can do so?
Is there any maximum per unit they can charge from the residents?
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 05 November 2017
Discuss with landlord for excess amount charged on account of electricity, if you are not satisfied then you may change your premises or lodge a complaint before Electricity Board/Authorities. and/or Consumer Fora.
Naina (Querist) 05 November 2017
I discussed the matter with the owner,but it was of no use.
I just wanted to know if they can charge any amount as per unit as they wish.
Kumar Doab (Expert) 05 November 2017
Has any agreement been signed and charges narrated in it?
Is any receipt of payment issued?
Naina (Querist) 07 November 2017
No Sir.
Agreement was signed but no charges were mentioned in it.
Isn't there any provision in the Electricity Act that prohibits people from charging over & above the rate specified by law.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 07 November 2017
Please confirm whether the electricity department is chaging on commercial rate of at domestic rate?

Lodge a complaint with the consumer forum.
Hemant Agarwal (Expert) 09 November 2017
1. Hostel is a commercial activity and a non-individual residential activity.

2. Under the Electricity Act:
a) Individual Residential users are classified as "LT1" (domestic), for billing purposes.
b) Non-Individual Residential users are classified as "LT2" (non-domestic), for billing purposes.

3. "LT2" users are liable to pay higher charges then "LT1" users.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query