Caste certificate

This query is : Resolved 

Querist : Anonymous (Querist)
16 February 2020

Hello sir/madam,
We are permanent residents of Bengal. For a little bit of time we have lived in another state also. Our caste comes under SC in bengal and OBC in that other state. When I was 17 yrs old I got OBC certificate from the other state. I hardly used it anywhere ever. Might have mentioned once or twice in some exam forms for admissions which I did not join later. I got into my undergraduate degree as General only.
After graduation, when I was 23 years old I realised my caste is SC in bengal. Applied there and got my SC certificate. Now I want to use it in a place for admission.

But now since I have two certificates from two different states both of which are there in the respective state websites, if searched with ids. I don't know what to do?

1.Can I surrrender the other state certificate? But I have heard that might lead to further suspicion and problem

2.Is there any way for the admission authorities or anyone to find out I have two certificates to my name. Is there a common national website to find that?

Please help. I want to rectify this.

Isaac Gabriel (Expert)
16 February 2020

No problem. The rules stipulate that the community of the state shall be the criterion for deciding OBC. But so for as the SC is concerned if could be used throughout the country if issued by the competent authority.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert)
16 February 2020

There is no such website as on the day to search such certificates,however, you have not committed any crime keeping in view the facts submitted by you. You should not feel shy for getting the certificate of other State when you were residing therein.

Sudhir Kumar (Expert)
17 February 2020

one is entitled to apply caste certificate from the place where is is "ordinary resident as per section 20 of representation of peoples act". That means where he is registered as voter.

Now you have to decide whether you can apply for the certificate from Bengal even if you surrender any other valid certificate.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert)
18 February 2020

Thanks Mr. Sudhir for making me aware about section 20 of Representation of People's Act. I had missed this legal aspect while replying the query.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert)
22 February 2020

Since you belong to West Bengal and have obtained the community certificate from that state for the community you belong to, you may ignore the community certificate obtained from other state which may not be of any use to you in this state.
You have not done any crime by obtaining the community certificate from West Bengal as per the list of the community pertaining your community in the list of the state of West Bengal.
Section 20 of the representation of peoples act refers to the provisions in this regard.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now


  LAWyersclubindia Menu