Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Md Asim Ali Khan   04 June 2018

want to get marry to a non-indian in India.

my name is Abdulla 29years old (indian Muslim) and the girl name is Anna 26years old (Belgian Christian) we both are working together in Belgium Company.

she willingly has converted into Islam in the presence of her parents in belgium and got a Certificate.

now, what I need to ask you is, what Indian law says and what are the laws/protocols are given to marry a non indian in india in the presence of both families.

how much time it will take to get me a marriage certificate ?

do I need to stay here in India for a while (till i get marriage certificate) or can I go back to belgium as soon as we get married?

kindly, give me proper response regarding the aforementioned matter.

thanks a ton! #LCI

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     04 June 2018

You may want to register the marriage in India.

Check at website , O/o Marriage Registrar near to your location in India..

e.g;

https://delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/DoIT/delhi+govt/community/marriage+certificate+and+registration

Check under;

Registration of Marriages which have already been solemnised.

Solemnisation of Marriage under Special Marriage Act

Md Asim Ali Khan   04 June 2018

Sir, with due respect...

kindly, re-read my query.

we didn't get married yet! she only got the conversion certificate from her country.

we are visiting to india in the last week of this month for only 30 days for our big day!

I read on the website regarding this matter and came to know about one condition which is not possible in this visit and that is "30days prior notice" in the presence of one of the partner.

kindly, suggest the needful to get the things done rightly!

thanks.

Siddharth Jain   05 June 2018

Marriage between an Indian citizen and a Foreigner is governed by, The Special Marriage Act (1954).

A marriage conducted with regard and the procedures established by the act which has been solemnized by a Marriage Officer appointed by the Government along with a declaration by parties and witnesses is a registered marriage.

Procedure:

No religious ceremonies are required.
1.Parties to the marriages shall give notice to the 2.Marriage Officer in the prescribed manner.
3. The marriage is solemnized by Marriage Officer appointed by the Government.
4.The Marriage is to be performed after 30 days of this public notice and before expiry of two months from issue of notice.
5.The appointed Marriage Officer enters relevant information in the Register and issues a public notice of this information.
6.Before marriage the applicants and three witnesses shall sign a declaration in the form specified.The marriage is thus completed and recorded in a book kept for that purpose.

For any other queries, feel free to contact me at isidjain1@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register