LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohit Attri (lawyer)     10 August 2008

simple problem

A WIDOW HAS RIGHT IN LIFE INSURANCE POLICES OF DECEASED???ALL THE POLCIES TAKEN BY DECEASD WHEN HE WAS UNMARRIED AND NOMINATED TO HIS MOTHERS . WIDOW HAS A CHILD OF 3 YEAR OLD.MAIN ISSUE IS THAT......NOMINATE PERSON IS DECEASED'S  MOTHER. NOW WIFE(WIDOW) HAS ANY RIGHT IN THAT POLCIES???IF YES SHE HAS RIGHT ON WHOLE AMOUNT OR PORTION???

Learning

7 Replies

Vijay Kumar (Advocate)     10 August 2008

Nominee does not mean "legally entitled to money". It just means that NOMINEE is the person chosen by the policy purchaser to receive the money in case of latter's death and to deliver the same to the legal heirs of the deceased person.

Now in the present case, mother is the nominee & she will receive the amount from the insurance company. Legal heirs of the deceased are three viz. mother, widow & child. So the mother is entitled to only 1/3 share; and the widow will get 2/3 share for herself and her minor son.

Mohit Attri (lawyer)     10 August 2008

Thank u sir.tell me widow can widraw the amount from LIC office???

Vijay Kumar (Advocate)     10 August 2008

The LIC may not be ready to pay the amount to the widow. LIC will release the amount to the nominee mother. The widow can claim/recover it from her mother-in-law.

however, it will be prudent that the matter is brought into the notice of the LIC in writing. 

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     11 August 2008

Dear Mohit,

Vijay has rightly answered your query. A good discription short but worthy by Vijay.

Mohit Attri (lawyer)     11 August 2008

thank u vijay and kc  sir. thnks a lot.

kumar sachin (lawyer)     11 August 2008

vijay bhai is right

Vijay Kumar (Advocate)     11 August 2008

I am beholden to Mr. K.C.Suresh. I am thankful to Mohit who has provided me opportunity to do some mental exercise. I am grateful to Sachin for encouragement. Regards.

Vijay

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register