LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vineeth kv (law student)     25 July 2010

road tax

hi friends, i m vineeth, i am from bangalore, as we all know, road tax is highest in karnataka, recently also they hiked rd tax in karnataka taking name of floods, already we were paying highest road tax in contry, as a common man/law student can i question this in any court, if yes how????????lets remember other states pay 6or8%  as rd tax here we pay 10 to 20 % depending on prices!!!
thanks & regards
vineeth

Learning

2 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     25 July 2010

The main idea in levying vehicle taxes on the public is that they use the road and hence money is required to repair the roads. That is why that heavier the vehicle heavier the tax. Municipal funds as a whole are benefited but taxes on vehicles are based on this very idea. It is competent for the state legislature to authorise the local authorities like Municipilaty to require the inhabitants to pay road taxes or to perform road labor which is in fact a tax. To challenge the validity of the road tax you have to see the provisions of you Municipal Act with regard to the road tax as to whether the Karnataka Legislature has authorise or empower your Municipal to collect road tax on the motor vehicle, tongas and rickshaws etc.

1 Like

vineeth kv (law student)     25 July 2010

thank you sir will look into the same!!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register