LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mgrao (partner)     23 March 2011

playing cards

I am member of a prestigious club that has all the facilities and it also has a rooms allocated to skill games which include palying catrd.The game indulged in is indian rummy that has thirteen careds dealt to each player across a table of nine people.The club manangement says the 13 card rummy is a skill game as declared by Kearal High Cout and subsequently ratified/agreed upon same  by other courts.

But the club was raided twice and on both the occassions the playing club memebers were taken to court and charged playing a differant game that comes close to poker.The local court after some two years of proceedings threw out the police court but not after the Club manipulating a few things like the police not attending the court and the witness bought over.Is there any protection from the police booking wrong cases?

Learning

4 Replies

Amardeep Garje (Junior)     09 November 2011

Can anyone tell me, under which statute a card club can be established and how to secure license for starting a club.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     09 November 2011

The club is charged with being a gambling den.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Democratic Indian (n/a)     09 November 2011

Originally posted by :mgrao
" Is there any protection from the police booking wrong cases?
"

Police can book cases according to laws. If there are laws that give them wide powers, it is very likely they will abuse those powers. How to keep police in check? Limit the wide powers in the law itself to narrowest possible limits.

Most probably your club was booked under Public Gambling Act,1867. I do not think the definition of gambling is well defined in Public Gambling Act, 1867. Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. If money or something of material value is not put up on stake that it cannot be called gambling.

Constitution of India is guaranteeing rights to freedom, life and liberty. It includes right to playing games without being hounded by police. The State is to abide by the Constitution at all times. Any power(law) of State to restrict fundamental rights should pass the test of strict scrutiny, else the very purpose of "guarantee" of fundamental rights in Constitution may get defeated. The following are the conditions under strict scrutiny to be met by the legislation:

1) The State has the burden of proving that its challenged legislation/policy is constitutional.

2) The State must show that its legislation/policy is necessary to achieve a compelling state interest.

3) If points 1 and 2 are proved then the State must then demonstrate that the legislation/ policy is narrowly tailored to achieve the intended result.

You may also read about Strict Scrutiny at https://lawandotherthings.blogspot.com/2009/08/justice-sinhas-final-attempt-to-clear.html

In my opinion you may approach High Court to get Public Gambling Act,1867 judicially reviewed and put to the test of doctrine of strict scrutiny.

deepak   22 June 2017

I also seen many gamber who are cheating using different devices. Many devices are available in the market like spy cheating playing cards, marked playing cards, gambling cheating devices. All these are legal in India? If no then why police doesn't taking any action as many website are selling these products openly. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register