LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tabitha Dara   17 September 2018

mental harassment

In February this year, I eloped and got married. My husband's family arranged the ceremony and brought me to their house to guarantee my safety.. My mother is a single parent and there was friction between us because of which I decided to elope despite knowing that my husband was not working. The very second month, my mother in law said I had to contribute to the monthly expenses and forced me to go to work, which I did. It went okay since then and u began giving 10000 rupees towards monthly expenses. But my expenses were never included in this and I had to bear that separately. Approximately 3-4 months later, my in-laws asked us move out and take a rented apartment. My husband opposed at first staying that we could not afford it, but upon their insistence we agreed. It took us three months post that to gather necessary things like fridge, washing machine household items. We started living separately, but used to have common household fights which I dismissed. I noticed a female classmate messaging my husband late night post 11:30 on three different occasions so I questioned him about the same. He got irritated and this ensued into a full fledged major fight with me asking him to leave the house and go back to his parents.. Following that I went back to apologize and get him back but now he adamant that he wants a divorce and now my in-laws are stating that I forced them to get us married. They have asked me to sell off whatever I bought and give the money to them and my husband belittles me everyday stating that he will hit me in front of my family if I involve them. This has taken a serious toll on my health and has caused severe mental stress. It's almost 2 weeks now that I am going through this differential treatment. Kindly advise what can I do.

Learning

1 Replies

Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Advocate)     17 September 2018

Dear querist,

As per your statement you people are legally married, both of your responsibilities toward each other and towards each family.

Your in-laws do not have any liabilities towards you and your husband legally.

In case you and your husband do not have cordial relation with inlaws they can ask couple to live separately from their house.

But your husband has unconditional liabilities towards you, as you said your does not work then asking any short of maintenance from him will not be fruitful.

As far divorce is concerned nobody can ask you forcefully to give divorce. Take help of elders from both families for amicable solution of you problem.

Deepak Joshi & Associates

Djaa.legal@gmail.com

Mb/whatsapp +919456777600

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register