LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

love Rajbir   18 August 2018

judicial activism and judicial restraint

may yours can explain me given above articles with examples.

Learning

2 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     19 August 2018

Join a coaching institute/college/university and improve your legal knowleged.

Mansi Aggarwal   03 March 2021

Hello, I request you to kindly state your query clearly. However, I assume that you want to know about judicial activism and judicial restraint. 

Judicial activism is an approach to the exercise of judicial review or a descripttion of a particular decision in which a judge is generally considered more willing to decide constitutional issues and to invalidate legislative or executive actions. 

A judicial decision may also be called activist in a procedural sense if it resolves a legal issue unnecessary to the disposition of the case. 

For example, the right to privacy came to be recognized as a constitutional right as a result of judicial activism.

Judicial restraint, a procedural or substantive approach to the exercise of judicial review. as a procedural doctrine, the principle of restraint urges judges to refrain from deciding legal issues, and especially constitutional ones, unless the decision is necessary to the resolution of a concrete dispute between adverse parties.

In the case of State of Rajasthan vs. Union of India the court rejected the petition on the ground that it involved a political question and therefore the court would not go into the matter.

Hope this helps you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register